Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidbansal92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I have a late 2009 21.5" iMac. The problem is whenever i plug in the iMac i see a blue spark from the inside the Mac and a loud bang sound. This causes the MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) to trip / fuse to blow. There hasn't been any power issue in the circuits in my house, this started happening suddenly. I hope its just an internal power problem and nothing too serious. Can someone tell me what exactly the problem is?

Thank you.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I had a similar thing. On my old white 2006 iMac. it blew the circuit breaker switch with a bang and also killed the extension lead I needed to make the wall socket.

The issue? The PSU (power supply unit) in the iMac died. I hunted around and found a replacement for like $80, and replaced the part. And all good. I'm not saying this is what happened to your iMac. But if ithe iMac won't turn on anymore and that loud bang, makes me think blow PSU. But best get a 2nd opinion though.

sidbansal92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I had a similar thing. On my old white 2006 iMac. it blew the circuit breaker switch with a bang and also killed the extension lead I needed to make the wall socket.

The issue? The PSU (power supply unit) in the iMac died. I hunted around and found a replacement for like $80, and replaced the part. And all good. I'm not saying this is what happened to your iMac. But if ithe iMac won't turn on anymore and that loud bang, makes me think blow PSU. But best get a 2nd opinion though.

Seems like you had a similar problem like mine. Will take it to Apple tomorrow and see what they tell. Thanks for your reply though. :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Seems like you had a similar problem like mine. Will take it to Apple tomorrow and see what they tell. Thanks for your reply though. :)

Almost the exact same symptoms you had, I had too. Good luck at the Apple store.

popp

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
I have a late 2009 21.5" iMac. The problem is whenever i plug in the iMac i see a blue spark from the inside the Mac and a loud bang sound. This causes the MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) to trip / fuse to blow. There hasn't been any power issue in the circuits in my house, this started happening suddenly. I hope its just an internal power problem and nothing too serious. Can someone tell me what exactly the problem is?

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.