iMac 21.5 problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by atakli, Feb 5, 2012.

1. atakli macrumors newbie

I have a problem with my iMac 21.5 2010 i3 4gb ram lion model basically when i shut down the computer it spins circle basically its like its loading something for like 5-7 seconds then it just switches of is there a problem with the mac

Many Thanks.

2. Chorny macrumors member

I have a 2010 iMac 21.5 (i5 model) and I'd urge you to spend ~ $45 on a pair of 4 GB modules and up the RAM to 12 GB. Most of the time I'm using about 7 GB now that I've done so. That will eliminate 95% of your spinning beachballs.

3. atakli thread starter macrumors newbie

so your saying the problem is 100% from the RAM

thanks

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

What the hell is "spins circle"? Use the edit button and fix the post's english.
    Chorny just wants you to buy more RAM. Has little to do with issue unless a bad memory DIMM is the issue. You can use and boot your iMac just fine with 4GB.

5. atakli thread starter macrumors newbie

if you don't know the question i asked don't write anything init go get a life

6. derbothaus, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I was trying to help you get better responses by pointing out that it is difficult to understand your wording. Not because it is a difficult problem.
    There are "cog wheels" like when it boots up and properly shuts down and "spinning beachballs" like when you run out of memory in a booted system and have to wait for the Mac to respond after clicking on something.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

By the look of things, the behaviour of your machine when shutting down is quite normal. Most likely, the delay is because the machine is closing any open processes and nothing to do with RAM.

BTW Even though your original post was was expressed in a slightly unusual way, I personally had no difficulty in understanding it! :)

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I think John is right, this has nothing to do with your RAM. More RAM might make the circle disappear faster

What kind of circle is it btw? Is it a beach ball
    [​IMG]
    or is it a spinning wheel?
    [​IMG]

I'm just gonna guess it's the second picture (spinning wheel).

If you really want it gone, you should reinstall Lion and make sure you don't install software that takes a while to shut down.

When I shut down my mac, I always have to wait ages for transmission and playstation 3 media server to close down.

9. atakli thread starter macrumors newbie

can you find the problem from disk utility. or which programs are slowing it down to shut it down