iMac 21.5" resuming from sleep delay?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MattMJB0188, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Ok, so when I put my new iMac 21" to sleep for several hours it seems to lag when waking up. I have the maxed out 21" iMac with the 1TB fushion drive. I have it set that after 4 hours to prompt for a password. This is exactly what happens:

Computer is in sleep mode for several hours. I go ahead and wake it up and the password screen comes up. I go to type in my password and a gray screen then pops up for at least 30-40 seconds. I wait, then the password screen comes back.

Is this normal? I used time machine to transer over all my apps and data, but not settings. I also changed the login background.

My 2010 MBP didn't do this, but it wasn't running Mountain Lion.

2. medi.freak macrumors regular

I also noticed that it takes a couple seconds for my 27" to wake up if I haven't used it for several hours. Same with my Macbook Air. Never had a grey screen though?! It's an energy consumption thing, but 30-40 seconds seems a litle long if you ask me...

3. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah. I'm going to keep an eye on it. If I put it in sleep mode for a little while then resume it, its fine. Maybe a clean install of Lion would help?

4. medi.freak macrumors regular

Same here. It is normal that it takes longer to resume when it had been in sleep mode for >1h. What is not normal on the other hand is the long time until you can log in again.

How long do you see that grey screen?

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

A 30-40 second delay is definitely not normal. You should consider doing a clean install or maybe having it looked at.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Agreed. That's not normal. Do you have any devices connected that could cause issues?

7. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Actually, that is a good idea. Unplug any printers, USB sticks, etc. Also try un-pairing whatever bluetooth stuff you have hooked up and try to pinpoint what might be causing it.

8. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Resumed it from an 8 hr sleep and it turned right on it about 2 seconds. No gray screen weird. Hopefully it won't do it again or I'll call Apple.