Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Just curious if anyone is aware of any polls done to determine the ratio of
27" iMacs sold as opposed to the 21.5" iMac.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Just curious if anyone is aware of any polls done to determine the ratio of
27" iMacs sold as opposed to the 21.5" iMac.

Why does it matter? People buy what is right for them - for me it's a 21.5" iMac and a Mac Mini. I think the 27" is way to large for the average UK home but that's just my personal view.

4zuresky

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
What does a TV have to do with an iMac?

He's comparing a tv screen resolution with the iMac's. If you have a small desk, 21.5" iMac is the way to go. If you have a spacious desk and room, the iMac will look super small in a big room, so in that case, go for the iMac 27". Most people go for the 27" for the specs since they have to do video editing and other stuff that takes really long to render.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Go to some apple store and sit in front of both for a few minutes.
For me 27" is just too big. hate that 2K+ res. I do use two 21" monitors though :D

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
I find it a bit annoying to have to turn my head to look at either sides of the 27"

I'm happy with my 21.5" :D

wilfried

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
There pretty much wasn't any question I would get the 27". I went for the 24" when that was my big option. First, my iMac is in fact my TV; it's attached to an EyeTV tuner. It's also my DVD player, Netflix, Hulu etc. (life in a small NYC apartment). I also love the screen real estate, and the number of windows you can have open at one time. I just finished a project involving an enormous spreadsheet, and unlike even the 24" iMac, I could see the whole thing without having to scroll sideways.

Wreckie

macrumors regular
May 9, 2011
I am really happy with 27", at first I was scared it will be too vast as I migrated from 19", but after 2-3 hours of use I loved it. Now I can't look anything smaller. Only downside for OS X is small text in safari, but in Bootcamp's Firefox text looks comfortably big. It is just up to Safari.

T-Mac

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Tennessee
Extremely happy with my 21.5 that was delivered last Friday. Some people will need the 27, for others it's too big. You have to decide what is right for you.

mr inkhead

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Im loving my 27'' --- like D4F said.. go to a local apple store and sit infront of each one for a few and see which one you like best...

vote - 27'' you wont regret it :)

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
It's going to be a 50/50 split; most people are going to go for the bottom end 27", but most people that you will speak to on the internet will go for the 27", with around just over half of those going for the higher end, non BTO model. This is just as a guess/what I've seen.

As for the 27" vs 21" debate, of course only you can make a judgement on whether you need it. However, you will definitely adjust to the 27" if you buy one. I found mine way too big at the start, but it really does seem normal now, the size isn't a problem at all. To be honest, it looks...medium size!

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
There pretty much wasn't any question I would get the 27". I went for the 24" when that was my big option. First, my iMac is in fact my TV; it's attached to an EyeTV tuner. It's also my DVD player, Netflix, Hulu etc. (life in a small NYC apartment). I also love the screen real estate, and the number of windows you can have open at one time. I just finished a project involving an enormous spreadsheet, and unlike even the 24" iMac, I could see the whole thing without having to scroll sideways.

I went from a 24" to the 27" and the 27" actually feels smaller w/o that large chin. Also don't have to look up so high. Agree on documents, I can get two side by side or one really huge spreadsheet up on the screen w/o resorting to dual monitors.

Back in Oct 2009 the 21.5" scored the top sales for desktops in the US.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10409462-37.html

27" version was 3rd. If that trend continued it appears the lower cost 21.5" is selected more frequently

Cheers,

Last edited:

mrzeigler

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm digging my 27" — I've been on vacation most of the time since I bought it, but I'm really looking forward to those times when I have to bring my work home with me — doing page design on this screen is going to be a pleasure.

As for run-of-the-mill stuff, I appreciate the fact that I can fit more browser tabs on my screen. I tend to open a lot of weblinks — between two and three dozen isn't unusual — and it's nice to be able to fit 24 Safari tabs on the screen before running out of real estate.

I've also like that I have the space to fit a browser with tabs for online banking and my credit cards, my Numbers monthly budget spreadsheet, the calculator and either a stickies file that has my "to do" list. My old 20.5" iLamp screen was pretty crowded whenever it come time to tackle the bills.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
It's all personal preference. Personally I went with the 21 because it can do 1080 anyway which is all I needed and for the same price as the base 27" I could upgrade the CPU to an i7. It's all preference though. Some people dont need the performance of a BTO so they would rather just have the larger screen.

alexz59

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Agreed, personal preference. I have the 27" and it does seem like it's almost too big at times... But sure is nice though... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.