iMac 21.5 vs iMac 27 vs MBP 15 Hres?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdourado, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,

How are you?
    I am wanting to buy a new computer.
    I have set my budget and have narrowed my choices to 3:

- iMac 21.5 - 16gb ram - 3.1 i7 - 1tb Fusion drive - GT 650M
    - iMac 27 - 8gb ram - 2.9 i5 - 1tb Fusion drive - GT 660MX
    - Macbook Pro 15.4 High Res Anti Glare - 8gb Ram - i7 2.3 - 500gb HDD - 650M

They are in order of price, being the 21.5 option the most expensive and the Macbook Pro the least expensive.

The 21.5 option is 5o Euros more than the 27. Not much. Since the iMac 27 has user upgradeable RAM, I can upgrade it to 16gb or even 32gb later.

The Macbook Pro is cheaper, but if I factor an Optibay, Samsung 840 SSD and 750gb 7200 Hard drive to do a DIY fusion, the price will be the same has the iMacs.

I have an iPhone and an iPad, and Portability is not an everuday need. I have the iPad to take with me.

So, based on this, what is the best option in regard to price, performance and features?
    What would you choose and why?

Thank you.
    Best regards.

2. Barna Biro, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Since portability doesn't seem to be a deciding factor for you, I see no reason in not getting the 27" iMac ( except if you don't have enough room where to keep it or you have a really crappy small and old desk / table ). As for the RAM upgradeablity: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234218/Upgrading_RAM_on_new_iMac_practically_impossible If possible, I suggest getting the model already with at least 16GB memory than upgrading it later yourself ( you might never need 16GB Ram, but it's nice to have for "peace of mind" - also all this assuming that you're not a hardware guy who can actually properly tear the computer apart in order to upgrade it - if needed of course )... 27" iMac hands down.

Why? Larger screen, upgradeable, better CPU and GPU than other models ( I'm deliberately ignoring the small upgrades you've added onto the 21" model - it's just funny looking at it )... I mean come on... You don't need portability, but you need explanations? It's clear as day... :rolleyes:

/thread closed