iMac 21.5" vs Macbook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mschield, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mschield macrumors newbie

I know there are dozens of these threads - yet I am being annoying and doing another because my mind still isn't made!

I currently have a 4 year old white 13" Macbook. It is in pretty good condition considering its age and use! It has some plastic cracks and due to its spec and age its quite slow, basically dead battery - but fine for browsing and the odd application. But I am a graphic designer and am planning to do more freelance work in my spare time/at home in the future and its simply not powerful enough.

So I have decided on a new machine - now should I get the 15" Macbook Pro (Portability, power for its size but more expensive) or a 21.5" iMac? At the moment I am leaning towards getting an iMac and then suping up my old Macbook (format, snow leopard, new battery memory etc.) for when I need portability. Although, I am love love the Macbook Pro's and the portability advantage for travelling/meetings/lounging around the house with it.

Any thoughts? :apple::confused:

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you will be doing most of your work at a desk, the iMac will offer superior speed, display quality, and ergonomics. If you do go ahead and fix up your Macbook you will have the best of both worlds. I spend my whole day at a desk but have a Macbook I use only when I need the portability. I sync the important folders (work in progress) with Chronosync and have a Mac server (MobileMe can also be used) to sync calendar and address book.