iMac 21.5, will I have heat issues?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lJoSquaredl, Jun 22, 2015.

1. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

Considering a 21.5 inch iMac purchase for gaming/streaming. Does anyone know if the 21.5 inch iMac would be able to handle running that hard for long periods of time? Does it have good enough heat dissipation or should I look at a desktop? Was also kinda concerned about possibly having screen color issues from the heat...I think i've heard they have problems come up because of heat for some people.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Heat should not be an issue on the imac 21 inch.

Your big problem is the lack of a decent GPU for gaming in the 21 inch version, so if you are expecting to play brand new AAA games at ultra settings think again.

3. lJoSquaredl thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more of a WoW/League of Legends/CSGO/etc kinda guy so nothing too crazy. Even still it seems almost too weak to run those games on Ultra but most people who play those games reduce graphics anyways (at least shadows)
    I actually check my CPU when running League on my rMBP and it usually doesn't go above 5%, streaming on very fast or fast usually doesnt break 50%. Just didn't know how much the small enclosure would effect it, maybe with shut downs/etc.

A new 21.5 inch model with a slightly better vid card would be perfect but i've been waiting a looong time for that lol, kinda hopeful the new AMD line will get them to push out an update soon.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well skylake desktop CPU's are slated for august as are new AMD graphics cards so I can see a fall Imac update, I think we'll get 4K 21 inch machines as well.