iMac 21.5"-Worth it or not?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iGeek2014, Feb 29, 2016.

1. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Hello.

Granted I'm thinking ahead and a lot can change in 12 months' but I am considering going back to an iMac once my loan with Barclays finishes next February.

I currently have a late-2014 Mac Mini which has been fine for my needs but I prefer the all-in-one design of the iMac.

I'd probably opt for the 4K model of the iMac 21.5" but for those who've opted to purchase that particular model has it been worth it?

Or would I be better off saving up some more and opting for the 27" 5K base model instead? I know the RAM is soldered to the iMac's logic board in the 21.5" models (and that Apple aren't cheap in terms of purchasing extra memory).

Cheers!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is subjective - the 21" model can be great for some, where as the 5k is a better machine for others. What is your intended usage?

3. iGeek2014 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I do perform some minor photography editing tasks with the Photos app but certainly never anything processor "heavy".

4. Nospig macrumors member

The new 21" made me go out and build a Windows PC, that's what I think of it :(
    (27" iMac doesn't suit my needs or budget)

5. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

By the time you go for the options on the 21.5 inch you're basically at the price point of the 5K model, which is literally, superior in every way besides that it does not fit in smaller enclosed spaces as well.

Apple used to be a company where every computer they sell was good. Now that doesn't seem to be the case as much. I've boughten Powerbook, Macbook Pros, Macbooks, and different iMacs over the years and from what I can remember they were all good. Now some Macs are not so good. Namely, the entry iMacs and any of the regular MacBooks they are touting nowadays.

When you really research it there are waayy too many reasons to not buy any of the 21.5 inch models. If I did, I would want the retina one but if you research it there are way too many reasons that to me, no seemed to be the right answer to that question.

The 5K models are solid though. They're more up to the old standard of quality that Apple was at. Literally I have boughten Macs without even looking into the performance because I knew they were adequate. I don't really use my computer for much else besides watching HD TV shows, web browsing, and other casual projects. So I don't need that much performance. But I still, would never in my right mind buy any iMac besides the 5K one. And without at least a fusion drive. I could've boughten the 1 tb SSD but I don't really want to spend $1000 on that, and I wasn't too interested in any other of the SSD options. If you don't buy it with some sort of SSD component you might as well throw it in the doghouse.

The 27 inch's screen is also simply stunning. If you've ever seen one that's reason enough to buy it, IMHO.

6. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

I looked at getting an iMac about three months ago, and very similiar to NosPig. In the end I decided to build a windows PC, and can say that for me it was the best decision. Saved a lot of money, and I now have a lot better specs.

7. iGeek2014 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for the feedback thus far.

I guess I'd be better off saving up the money and going for the 27" variant (likely to be the base model) because the money spent on adding extras to the 21.5" would seem foolish.

I know I could get better specs by building my own Windows PC but whilst I like my technology I don't feel competent enough to 'do it my way'.

One thing I liked about my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" was the fact I could upgrade the RAM at any time; I suppose in terms of looking ahead I'd be better off with the 27'?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Right now, the 27" iMac is the only Mac (aside from the Mac Pro) that has any semblance of upgradeability. The only thing we can upgrade is the ram, the rest of the computer is sealed.

I'm not saying rush out now and get it, but given apple's direction, I wonder how long that feature will exist in the 27" iMac.