iMac 21.5"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stespin, Nov 4, 2011.

1. stespin macrumors newbie

hello,
    I'm thinking about buying the iMac 21.5" with this specs:
    -Intel Core i5 quad-core 2.7GHz (maybe you'll tell me if the i7 works better for what i need to do)
    -4 Gb Ram (again, if 8/16 Gb is better just tell me)
    -1 Tb Hard disk
    - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 Mb

I am an italian architecture student, i have always used AutoCad, ArchiCad for 3d and i am quickly learnig to use Artlantis for 3d rendering. Now, i own a Dell laptop wich is quite new (like 1 year old) but i think that i'm working too much on it: extreme heat (you could really hurt your hands touching it), it often crashes and sometimes even AutoCad is really slow when using some functions. I am quite a heavy user because when i'm under exams it happens that i work on both Archi and AutoCad for like 15-17 hours a day. So i thought about the iMac.
    is the one i told you above enough for what i need to do? or the 27" would be better?
    P.s. sorry if my english isn't perfect, hope you'll understand anyway my "problem" XD

2. spy008 macrumors newbie

I'd go i7 and you should be able to pick up 2 4gb sticks of ram for about $50us(don't upgrade thru Apple). Alternately you can get 4 4gb sticks for a total of 16gb of ram for about $100us(supposedly you can go up to 32gb of ram in the iMac). 1tb is good but if you can afford the 2tb HD then go for it. I run Mastercam under parallels w/12gb of ram and it's awesome.