iMac 233 Bondi Blue?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eric Lewis, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Can i upgrade this machine...i found it at the end of a randoms persons driveway going to to garbage..it works perfect..how much ram can I put in? and is there a video guide? or good guide with pictures?

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Yes, you can upgrade that machine... I think you can pop in a 256MB chip in both of the slots; so a total of 512. It's not very difficult to upgrade the RAM, but it's a bit more difficult than now a day's computers.

Here's the guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iMacG3_originalInstallGuide.PDF

There are two slots... one of them is underneath the processor card. the other is on top of the processor card, i believe. i've done it tons of times; it's not that difficult, but it requires some gut to do it.

EDIT:

I'd also put a new hard drive in it... say an 80GB drive; those run dirt cheap now.

3. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Ok...so

where is the hard drive?
    can i put a better operating system on other then 9.2
    could i put in a DVD drive?

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

This site will help with upgrades: http://www.djonmac.com

The computer is supported up to 10.3, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you max out the ram.

There are processor upgradews available out there for it, but they probably aren't worth it.

I don't think I've seen DVD drives for that machine (the graphics are very underpowered), but I've seen CD-Rw drives that replace the internal drive but who knows if they are still available.

5. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

ok

what are some great free 9.2 applications which are fun to use..like paint and random stuff...isnt there an itunes for 9.2 or something to play cds...anything else i can download...