iMac 24"...2,4 or 2,8...now or later!??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Neo91, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Neo91 macrumors newbie

Neo91

Hi,

I want to buy an iMac 24", but I cant decide me if 2,4 Ghz or 2.8Ghz (both with 2GB RAM). I would use it for Working, Internet, edit Pictures and Games on Windows (I know there shouldnt be a Windows on a Mac ;-))
    The other Question is, if I should wait until the 14th January, I know there was a big upgrade just a few months ago, but I think they will upgrade the iMac, because if they upgrade the MacBook Pro, they have to upgrade the iMac, because otherwise the MacBookPro would have more Performance then the best iMac. Or not??
    Pls Help!

Big thx!! :apple:4tw

2. MrGeePee macrumors regular

Get a 2.4 ghz. You'll save cash, and probably wouldn't really notice the difference with the 2.8 unless you are running very demanding programs.

I doubt Apple will upgrade the iMac at MacWorld Jan 08.

3. ArtTechFreak macrumors newbie

More bang for your buck can be had by adding more memory. Other World Computing (OWC) has great prices on RAM right now. I'd recommend getting 4GB of RAM for your new iMac. Processor speed will only make a difference for the most demanding applications. It doesn't sound like you intend to use your iMac for video rendering or anything like that.

I'm actually waiting until after MacWorld to see what happens to the iMac line. I figure there's a speed increase/price drop coming up. Once MacWorld is over, then I'll be getting a 24" iMac to replace both my old G5 Quicksilver tower and my old cad workstation (PC).

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. Adding the max RAM to the machine will greatly speed it up. I've done that to all the computers that I've owned.

I am also waiting to see what happens at MacWorld before I buy a new iMac. To me... being this close to MacWorld, it's worth the wait... even if there are no updates.

5. Phormic macrumors regular

Macworld never announces refreshes or speed bumps. Only completely new models.

As the iMac was launched only in August, I'd be very surprised if there were any updates to it yet.

Bite the bullet and just buy one.

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

2.4 vs. 2.8 = buy what you can afford; I don't know anyone who was sorry they bought the fastest iMac out there. Get the least RAM possible from Apple and do as suggested here and add 4 gigs from a third party like OWC.

I have the ALiMac 2.8 and added 4 gigs from OWC and could not be happier... well unless I had the fastest Mac Pro... :eek: