imac 24" 2.8ghz refurb or education price new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drawstring, Sep 2, 2008.

1. drawstring macrumors member

So, a query that I thought your collective insight might be helpful for.

there are two imacs at 2.8 ghz on the refurb mac store; one is Core 2 Duo, one is Core 2 Extreme (one also has 320GB vs. 500GB, and there is a $50 diff). Both are in my price range. I am buying for work, but while it's not my pocketbook, it's my department's so I am trying to keep the price a prominent factor.

New is 1699 with ed price. Mostly the difference is that I could get a free ipod touch (which i would likely sell or make as a gift to someone) with their promo, but not for the refurb models. It's also true that the ipod will lose a solid chunk of it's value (presumably) next week.

So is it worth it to buy the new model and get the ipod giveaway or get the refurbs and save 100-150 but get no ipod.

I don't need hard drive space so much, since most of my files are on external storage anyway, so it's not much of a factor to me. My hope is really that I won't have to replace this machine for 3-4 years. It's a stretch given the work I do on it (mostly CS3, Office 08, and sometimes audio and video editing too), but I need something to get me as close to that cycle as possible.

Thoughts? Thanks muchly in advance!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

So I guess the real decision is save the department $100-$150 or get yourself a free iPod.

I can't really tell you what to do. Since specs are irrelevant, you can think of this decision as, "Do I want the dept to spend an extra $100+ to get me an iPod?" Of course, to phrase it like that implies a certain moral perspective.

I'd take the free iPod if you think the dept can handle the $100.

3. drawstring thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your thoughts. It's true. the $100 may be worth the ipod. i guess my only outstanding question is what's the diff between core 2 duo and core 2 extreme? and do you think this computer will last me 4 years (sounds like a god awful length to me...)

:)

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think the difference between the two is probably speed and cache size. I'm not too sure how much it would affect what you're planning to do with it. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say going from 2GB to 4GB of RAM would do you better than what may be the difference between a 4MB and a 6MB cache.

And, yes, I think it'll last you a good 4 years. It will perform those tasks as admirably in 4 years as it will today.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I agree with everything else but I assume this is a joke - 4 year old iMac, good as new, and just as quick as what will be the current model in 4 years time........

Like a 1GHz Powerbook is just as quick as a current MBP..........

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

No, you misunderstand me. I obviously don't mean that the current iMac will be as good as one in 4 years time. I do mean that the iMac he is looking at will do what he needs it to do wonderfully, and it will continue to do the work wonderfully in 4 years time.

7. drawstring thread starter macrumors member

thanks folks. i just took the plunge. went for the cheapest one, 1549, for a 2.8 ghz c2d imac 24". feels like a solid deal, and i won't have the headache of the ipod.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

9. shdowman macrumors member

Good call.

Where the "extreme" might look attractive, I have seen benchmarks showing a marked improvement in the version you bought. The "extreme" was the previous high-end imac, so it is a generation old, and considering the rumors of another speed bump soon...that would make it 2 generations old in a few months (maybe).

I debated this myself for a few weeks and did the same as you.

Congrats on your new purchase...I know you'll love it!

10. nyprospect macrumors 6502