iMac 24" 2007

Discussion in 'macOS' started by woodbine, Mar 29, 2017.

1. woodbine macrumors regular

woodbine

I have a support question about this vintage iMac. What is the last OS that can be loaded? Will it still get Mail etc? I ask because a friend who has one was told that a lot of the functionality is lost, like Mail.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

10.11 El Capitan is the max supported OS. :)

3. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

While the El Capitan is supported another question is how fast its going to work when compared to older OS. I previously had similar iMac and El Capitan was slower than previous OS such as Mavericks, Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard.

I'm not saying it won't work, its just that it might not work as fast as you would like...

4. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

If you change the CPU you can run a patcher to get sierra.

I will be doing this to my 2007 20" imac soon.
    you will need to change your wifi card though as it is not sierra supported.

SSD and el capitan works great with max 6gb RAM
    I hoping sierra be better.

I did a 2008 20" imac for a friend with sierra patcher and it runs great!

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP:

You didn't tell us which version of the OS that you're using right now.
    If it's 10.6.8, that's a good one (though old).
    If Safari no longer works well enough, consider an alternative browser such as Firefox.

You don't have to go through the rigamorale for Sierra (as described in post above). You don't need Sierra.

You -can- go as far as El Capitan (10.11), but a word of caution:
    Be aware that on an older Mac, with a platter-based hard drive, the more recent versions of the OS will "run", but from YOUR perspective as the user, it may seem like the OS is "walking" instead of "running". As in, somewhat slow.

Even though slow, everything should still work ok.

6. woodbine thread starter macrumors regular

woodbine

TBH the issue is two fold. The person wants her Vectorworks on the iMac, but to upgrade VW to suit the latest OS, would cost her huge bucks and her practice doesn't make enough to warrant that. So to maintain a usable version of VW, the OS has to remain stuck at 10.6.8.
    That also means that Mail doesn't support iCloud!
    Is there actually a Mail solution that uses iCloud but still runs on 10.6.8? Or is the reality simply that email can only be accessed via the browser?

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Mail works just fine with iCloud email under 10.6.8, you just have to set it up manually, which is pretty easy. Apple provides good support articles on it.

8. woodbine thread starter macrumors regular

woodbine