iMac 24" 3.06 Core 2 Duo DDR2 800Mhz machine compatible with Mtn Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Doctorsti, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Doctorsti macrumors regular

I got my iMac 24" if memory serves me in 2008 and I've upgraded to Lion OS early this year. I didn't really notice too much in the way of a slow down or feelings the machine was unprepared for the OS and use of newer features besides having to download flash to support my Adobe CS3 Master Suite.

My concern is if I upgrade to Mountain Lion will it be negative either in day to day iTunes, iPhoto, Safari or with the use of CS3. I don't want to have to go out and upgrade the machine and the Adobe products if I don't have to as that is likely a $4K prospect.

Should I upgrade to Mtn Lion or stick with Lion until and or if I upgrade the machine in the next 8-12 months? Will I gain anything with Mtn Lion?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Check the date of your mac under the apple at About This Mac, then 'more info' and it will tell you the date of your mac. So far I have read no one is having problems running CS3 with ML. I run CS4 on one mac and CS5.5 on my other mac with no problems. Good Luck.

3. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

24-inch, Early 2008
    Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

that's the details, early 2008 as I suspected.

Will this machine work with Mountain Lion?

4. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

The machine is a 2008 model so it can be upgraded to Mountain Lion. I have the same machine but I haven't upgraded it yet.

In my experience the machine struggles to operate Lion properly so I am hoping that Mountain Lion contains some performance fixes.

5. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, downloading now. I waited far too long to upgrade past the original OS and now I want to keep up until the machine is no longer supported by the newest OS and that's when I will likely upgrade the machine. I will keep this one for the kids or for the basement or something.

6. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

I have to say, great move on my part to upgrade to Mountain Lion!!!! Everything is faster, launching programs, Safari, and everything works perfectly so far as I've found. What a relief that this is much better then Lion was. I was happy with Leopard as the machine ran great but times were a rolling on so I felt the need to upgrade through snow leopard and then to Lion in quick succession but was a little disappointed that things were just slow and I thought for sure this was the design of the upgrades to make me annoyed and upgrade the machine!

No way, it's much faster now with Mountain Lion even if I don't use any of the new features! I love it.

7. millk18 macrumors member

I have the same machine as you. To answer your question simply and directly, Mountain Lion works fine with this config. Go for it.

Having said that, I need my new iMac. Where is the love, Apple! ;)