iMac 24" Alu Reading DVD as blank, but it isn't.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tylermoney, May 26, 2008.

1. tylermoney macrumors newbie

So friday I was at work, and burnt some files onto a dvd using a g5 powermac with 10.4. When I put the disc into my new iMac at home, it read t he dvd as blank. I figured there must've been a mistake in the burning process; however, I put the dvd into my g4 powerbook with 10.5 installed. It read the disc normally, and I was able to view/retrieve my files. I repaired disc permissions on my iMac, then restarted the computer. It still read the disc as blank. I put in another dvd disc to test if it was all of them. The disc worked fine..no problems.

I tried calling applecare, but they are closed for the holiday (memorial day).

Anyone experienced this before, or have any idea what the problem could be, or if there is a quick fix. The thing is that it works fine on my powerbook g4 with 10.5...but not on my new iMac.....

thanks.

2. tylermoney thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm assuming no one has replied to this because, they have no idea what the hell is wrong....am I right?

I'm on the phone with apple care right now....and have been for a while...no one can seem to figure this out. It's just a DVD -r, with data (images,program files, etc) on it.

When I tell them it reads on all the other mac machines I've tried it on, it boggles their minds. Anyone have any clue what's going on. The disc is a branded disc from work...just a normal dvd -r with screen printed graphics on it to label as my companies. It's an issue because, I will probably bring dvds from work home a lot, and need to make sure they read on my iMac here at home. If my 3 year old powerbook g4 can read it, there should be no excuse for my brand new 2008 iMac not to read it....