iMac 24" buy question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WCSG, Jul 6, 2008.

1. WCSG macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've been thinking about buying a iMac and considered a close out deal or refurb versus new. I was thinking the 2.8 or 2.6 and 24". Is there a difference between 677 memory and the 800? Are the other differences as well to consider? I have an older mac now, quiksilver and I'm sure it will be a day night difference.

I will be using it to use imovie, AI and PS graphic programs. Not really for games, I have a Peecee for that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

-Erik

2. McGiord, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

For how long are you planning to keep it?
    If you want to keep it for using it with Snow Leopard in the future then you better go with the a refurb fastest one.
    ________
    extreme vaporizer

3. WCSG thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I meant to say 677 vs the 800. Is there a noticeable difference?

4. savvos macrumors regular

The FSB is one of the big bottlenecks with the current Intel architecture (which is why Nehalem getting rid of the FSB is such a big thing). That said, there are other bottlenecks. Here are some tests done by Barefeats to give you an idea. The faster FSB does show a slight speed increase:

http://www.barefeats.com/imp02.html

5. WCSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that link. Boy that Mac Pro is fast, almost discouraging me to buy the Imac, but that's all the $$$$ I'm willing to throw on a unit at this point.

I'm also considering the 3.0Ghz with the faster vid card now. Damn, too much to think about now. I'm sure I'll be happier with a 800 machine. Any word on when the next Gen comes out? Maybe prices will drop a little on the machines now.

6. WCSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Just had another after thought.

If I buy the 2.8GHz machine is it less expensive down the road to upgrade the graphics card down the road, or should I just buy the 3GHz machine?

7. The Hammer macrumors regular

It might be less expensive down the road, but if I could afford the 3.06ghz I'd get that and be done with it.

8. WCSG thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to buy a refurb from apple.

I went with the 3.06GHz with 8800 NVidia Card. I'm excited :)

Now it's time to pick up a iPhone:D

9. savvos macrumors regular