iMac 24" (early 2009) shuts down randomly

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JorgeVazquez, Nov 16, 2014.

1. JorgeVazquez, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

JorgeVazquez macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2014
    Vigo, Spain
    Hi! I was reading this forum for years and now... i registered because a problem (ouch!) ... I wonder if someone can help.... :)

My iMac shuts down randomly since i installed Yosemite. It always happen when i'm doing something, sometimes opening Safari, sometimes launching an App... the system doesn't shut down if you don't touch it. I made my investigations....

- I re-install Mavericks and Snow Leopard and the problem remains. So is not related with Yosemite at all.
    - Apple Hardware Test (the long one) says there's no problem with any piece of hardware (the iMac didn't shuts down while performing the test).
    - There's nothing plugged into the mac, so the problem is not related with peripherals.
    - There's no pattern into the system log. The last messages recorded before the system shuts down are always different (no errors).
    - The temperature registered in all sensors are fine, all the fans are working properly.
    - I have an UPS unit so the current should be nice and protected.

So... Can all the shuts down be only fault of the Power Supply Unit? I can switch on the mac after the shut down without any problem. There's a way to test the PSU before i pay for a new one (expensive part!)? Any idea of something different causing all the trouble?

Thanks!! ;)
  2. aicul macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2007
    no cars, only boats
    Maybe a silly suggestion, but did you check that the power cable is well set on the iMac (not on the UPS).
  3. JorgeVazquez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2014
    Vigo, Spain
    Yes, the cable is well set. I can switch on again without touching it.

I did it, nothings change :(