iMac 24"(Early'08) LCD Failure? Please Help^^

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by timk, Nov 28, 2008.

1. timk macrumors newbie

Several months after getting my imac, the computer would give this very high pitch whistle off and on. Then after some more months it would actually freeze up my applications and continue ringing untill i shut it off. I figured it was a faulty hard drive. (that's another story...)

Today i replaced my standard imac WD hard drive with a 1TB Hitatchi drive along with adding another 2 GB memory in place of a 1 GB memory stick to put me at 4GB total.

I turned it on... all the hardware started up seemingly fine: hard drive spinning, cd/dvd drive bay spinning(i have the OSX disk1 in there), fans spinning, and of course the motherboard light popped on. The LCD screen however, did not turn on nor did it show any sign of power. So i turned it off and disconnected everything again, to check all the cables that i had unplugged while installing the new hard drive. Everything was exactly as it was when i opened it.

I'm thinking it is the power cable for the LCD to the power supply. maybe i pulled too hard? but when i was installing the HDD i took one tug on the base of the cable and decided to just leave it be and work around it. So i never really got it off in the first place. So that or the LCD actually some how broke? How easy do they break? I used to work as a PC/networking technician so i'm quite familiar with electronics and troubleshooting/installation. Never for macs though.

Any ideas? im really bummed. i saved up all my money for this computer at the beginning of this year, and now its busted. at least the LCD as far as i can see.

Thanks Everyone!~

2. timk thread starter macrumors newbie