iMac 24' Hard Drive Fan Buzzing Noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vasja1234, May 24, 2010.

1. Vasja1234 macrumors newbie

Hello, all! I need help. I've owned my iMac for a little over a year and I started having a weird buzzing noise coming from a hard drive fan. Downloaded iStat, everything runs at idle speeds (hard drive fan at 1200rpm), so the speed is not an issue. Sounds like a mechanical problem. Also downloaded FanControl, and once I increase the fan's speed to 2500rpm, the buzzing noise goes away, but now I can hear the fan :( It kind of defeats the purpose of having the expensive computer, that used to be virtually silent. I am in remote location in Alaska, where we don't have Apple store and the only way to fix is to ship it to mainland. Apple warranty is over, but I still get additional 1 year of coverage from Amex credit card, but I would much rather prefer to to fix it myself. Any suggestions on possibly replacing the fan myself? I am really debating whether I should ship it to Apple and trying to go through American Express with warranty. That would be complicated and I would end up without a computer for a few weeks. Thank you!
    Late 2008 iMac 24'. 3.06 GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVidia GeForce 8800GS.

2. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

3. Vasja1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the idea! I'll try to use warranty first, not sure how it's going to work. Screwdriver would be last resort, I think.

4. macbahia macrumors newbie

HD Fan Noise iMac bought in 2010

This two softwares resolved my problem in 1 minute and it cost me just 10 US$:

1. To see and check all tree fan speeds inside your iMac:

iState Pro 2.0 (free)

2. Download Software which controls HD Fan speed called HHD Fan Control:

http://www.hddfancontrol.com/

good luck