iMac 24" hellish slow down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Larky, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Larky macrumors newbie

Hello.

So, a couple of weeks ago I noticed Snow Leopard was running very slow, as in I couldn't use it. This happened pretty quickly, I've been pushing it hard lately and all of a sudden, everything gave the beach ball of death. I decided to format, and also to go back to 10.5.8 so I could use some software that is still very flakey in 10.6.2.

After 3 days of backing up (yes, it was that slow, it literally took 72 hours straight to back up onto a Firewire 800 G-Tech external RAID) I formatted, and am now on Leopard.

Same deal, still running slow.

It's the 2.8GHz, 4gig RAM, standard HDD, late 2008. I've run Apple's hardware diagnostics and found nothing. I've run SMART status tools and they say the HDD is fine. I'm happy to take it apart to replace the drive if that's the problem, but nothing is saying that it is apart from my gut.

So I thought I'd see what you lot say. :)

Cheers, A.

UPDATE: Now getting the Dock of Doom also, apps bouncing up and down for 2-3 minutes before they start to load. Again, everything tells me my HDD is ok, but I think I'm going to replace the HDD. Anyone have any suggestions on which model to g for, looking at 1 Terrabyte.

Found this: http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=304214&CatId=3097 Anyone know if it will work?

2. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Sounds like a failing HDD, had mine replaced recently at an apple store under warranty. I'd search for that hdd model number and mac to see if anybody else has bought it