iMac 24", hom much RAM?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Neo91, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Neo91 macrumors newbie

Neo91

Hi,:D

I would like to buy a 24" iMac with Leopard, but Im wondering if 2,4 Ghz and 1 GB Ram enough is. I want to use it for work, video play/convert, photos and (;)Im sorry;)) but also for Windows Vista (just for some Games). Is 1 GB Ram enough for Windows Vista Games? And is it possible to run DirectX10 Games without Prbolems on an iMac with Windows Vista???

Thank you.

Bye

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

1GB is fine, but 2GB is worth it...your Mac will really fly :)

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy an extra 2G stick from a third party for $100 or so. Then you will have 3GB and enough RAM to last at least a year or two.

4. Mundy macrumors regular

My personality is such that once I set a new precedent, I can't go back. I had 4 GB of RAM in my Mac Pro, so when I ordered my iMac Core 2 Extreme, I couldn't accept having less than 4 GB. But unless you're constnatly working in apps like Photoshop, Cinema 4D, and Logic, 4 GB might be overkill.

Just keep in mind that while the performance difference between 4 GB and 2 GB is noticeable, the difference between 2 GB and 1 GB is even more drastic. You definitely want 2 GB of RAM minimum. Beyond that is just icing on the cake.

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

The mac should get along fine with 1gb, although more is always better (and you'll definitely want more if you're doing anything beyond a bit of web browsing and word processing).

Vista on the other hand will definitely need more than 1gb, I'd say 2gb is a realistic minimum if you want to actually use it and not just watch it load up. Personally I think XP is a better choice for now, unless you really need vista for something (and I can't think of anything you'd actually NEED vista for!) - perhaps vista will be a bit more 'ready' when service pack 1 comes out.

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

For how cheap you can get 4GB of ram for the iMac/MacBook/Powerbook's these days.. well, you figure it out.

:D

7. seanacy macrumors newbie

If 1G is not enough, you can always buy an extra 1G... they're quite cheap these days, def. much cheaper than ordering a ram upgrade from applestore.

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I finally stopped being lazy and ordered a 2gig stick myself- arrives tomorrow, just in time for Leapard. Tomorrow will be a good night, computer-wise.

1 gig was killing me-I look forward to 3 gigs- I've never had that much (and I do A LOT of serious 3d rendering and photoshop).

9. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I bought two 2GB sticks and went to 4GB, but then I run Windows in VM a fair bit so it's nice to be able to give each OS plenty of RAM.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Definitely put an extra 1GB in there. If you go for more, remember that matching the memory chips gives you an extra 5% speed boost over mismatched. So although 3GB is good, 2 or 4GB are just that little bit faster :)