Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wa1uigi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Hi,
I've got iMac8,1 with C2D 2.8GHz processor.
Recently, my hard drive broke and as my computer was two months after warranty I send It to local shop service and replace broken WDC Blue 500GB with WD Black 1TB.
Everything works fine, a lot faster but the problem is, that iMac with old drive was absolutely noiseless - I even never heard writing head in HD.
The WDC Black is louder at idle and when It read/write I hear pretty loud noise. Of course Its still more silent then the most computers, but I loved my old noiseless iMac.

I consider replacing this WDC drive with another, more silent replacement - but I don't have idea which brand and model?
SSD are still too expensive for me and I fear that 5400rpm drive will be too slow compared to original WDC Blue 500GB (which was 7200rpm model)...

Hope you will help me in this decision,
take care.

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
You could try the Caviar Green WD10EADS. Should be quieter than the "near server grade" Caviar Black.

Use the Black for Time Machine.

wa1uigi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
You could try the Caviar Green WD10EADS. Should be quieter than the "near server grade" Caviar Black.

Use the Black for Time Machine.
But is It WDC Green work in my iMac as 7200rpm drive?
I heard that most of time this drive work in 5400rpm mode, not only in idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.