iMac 24" makes ticking noise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Frits, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Frits macrumors member

It's an Intel alu 2.8GHz.

In the past two days I installed both an external HD with TM and windows vista ultimate with boot camp (everything works perfectly).

I think the noise only started like, around two days ago, but I'm not sure. I got my mac around a month ago. I think my last pc did this all the time, so at first I thought it was just normal HD writing/reading noise (I think it's the HD), but as that pc wasn't exactly new or stable and I seem to remember that my mac didn't do this at first, I thought I'd ask.

It makes the noise for a couple of seconds when I, for example, start an app, close one, boot or shut down, and at random times when I'm just doing nothing. It doesn't make it during music playback. It's completely irregular so I doubt it's a fan hitting something. It doesn't sound like that either. It's really pretty soft, and fast paced, sort of like morse code. When in vista, it makes the noise almost all the time, like 80% or something.

I've seen threads on similar issues, but as most turned out to be fan related and such I'd thought I'd make a new one.

Thanks in advance,
    Frits

2. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

That's been happening to the mac pro that i am using and i have no idea what it is but it is driving me crazy. It might just be that the speakers are busted or your mac is trying to tell you something? :rolleyes:

3. Frits thread starter macrumors member

I doubt it. I'm sure it's not the speakers. If anyone knows what this is and it's dangerous, please tell me. I'd hate to have my HD fail, even though I have a backup.

Frits

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

It could be one of your fans, or your hard drive.

5. Frits thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's what I figured. Anyone.. please?

6. CJC Off Road macrumors newbie

I also have a 24" iMac and mine makes similar sounds. I believe it's the hard drive and will most likely replace it with a larger, nicer one once I have the guts to take it apart.

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Try replacing the hard drive, if that stops the ticking, issue solved.

8. Frits thread starter macrumors member

Before I do that, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell whether or not it's actually an issue.

Frits

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You sure it isn't the Bobblehead Steve sitting on top?

10. Frits thread starter macrumors member

Quite.

I've searched some more and I'm now fairly sure that it's normal. Apparently HDs make this kind of noise when reading/writing. It's just that I didn't remember hearing it before.. strange really.

Frits