iMac 24 mid-2010 with ram-related issues.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by michael.travan, Dec 5, 2013.

1. michael.travan macrumors newbie

Hello to the forum, this is my first post here. I'm from Italy so I hope you'll forgive my bad english.

Lately I'm having some serious issues with my mid-2010 iMac. Everything started when i freshly installed Mavericks (by freshly I mean an "erase&install"). Soon after that my mac started panicking randomly, so i checked disk with Disk Utility and the "incorrect node" error message appeared. DU was unable to repair disk. So i smelled something wrong and went straight to another fresh installation, from a usb drive, after repairing disk from there (it was successful, this time). No luck tough, a generic error stopped the installation and when i went back to DU (from mavericks installation - usb) the same error showed up ("incorrect node").

After that i scouted the web for possibile solutions, and i tried almost everything:
    - Resetting PRAM
    - Resetting NVRAM
    - Disk Warrior
    - Different OSs (including SL, L, ML).
    - Single User Mode, Safe Boot
    - Target disk mode (to repair permission/disk)
    - Swapping to another HD (that i knew it was a functioning one)

No luck. I was desperate. Then I tried one last thing, found on a dark and scarcely populated forum. Removing a Ram bank ( I had 2, 2gb each).
    And -tadaaaa- Mavericks installed like a charm with a 2gb Ram card.
    BUT -and here's my current issue- now i can't mount more than 2gb, every time i try to put on my brand new 8gb single-bank Ram card, the system boots up, runs for a while, and as soon as I open more than two programs, screen goes black and reboot. If I just let it quiet without touching it, it stays up for hours.
    Same results with 2x 2gb original ram banks.

I am quite desperate, as you may guess.
    Any hints on what's going on ?

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Somehow I'd try to clean that ram slot if I were you, there's a possibility something has gone wrong with that original ram slot (it may have oxidised or something) and left crap behind.

That's all I can think of beyond the logic board being defective.

3. michael.travan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. I'm horrified by the thought that the logic board may be broken. But - just asking - shouldn't it give some other errors more than just not supporting 2gb+ of Ram ?

4. michael.travan thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Just to be sure, I returned my brand new ICE Memory 8gb ram to the shop I bought it from, and had it replaced with a new one. Still no luck, my iMac gives the same error during start up. I cannot post the log here, since it appears during boot and I'm unable to copy. Any other hint ? Could it be something related to EFI ? Another strange thing is that it doesn't let me boot from a USB key with Snowleopard installation. It lets me boot from Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks, with the same Usb drive.