IMAC 24" Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by myselfdasilva, Jan 9, 2012.

1. myselfdasilva macrumors newbie

Guys, let me bring this issue on using IMAC 24" as an external monitor again.

I do understand IMAC 24" (differently from the IMAC 27") doesn't have input port, therefore one would assume it cannot be used as external monitor. However, I have a MAC digital TV tuner which uses the USB port of my IMAC 24", so I can watch crystal clear realtime TV.

Why wouldn't I be able to display video from an equipment with VGA or DVI-A output on my IMAC 24" as long as I have VGA-to-USB or DVI-A-to-USB converter?

I guess I would need also a driver so the IMAC would recognize the equipment.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In order to use a 24" iMac as an external monitor you need ScreenRecycler, you can find information at:

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

3. myselfdasilva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your reply, however, I was more interested in using the IMAC 24" as a monitor of a video conference device I have and not to share screen with another computer...

Theoretically It seems possible since I can use my IMAC 24" to watch digital TV by connecting it to the TV tuner through the USB port, as I mentioned in my previous post. So, I should be able to capture the image from the video conference device through USB in my IMAC 24" too.

In addition I have seen videos on youtube of people playing XBOX games by using their IMAC 27" through connecting it to the game console through USB and not video input port. However, I have never seen VGA-to-USB or DVI-A-to-USB converters. If there was a HDMI-USB or DVI-D-USB converter, than I could try to convert the VGA into HDMI and then to USB.

Anyone has ever tried something similar?

Best regards,