imac 24" now w/ education promo, or wait for new macbooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ataylor, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ataylor macrumors member

hi there.

i'm finishing up my last year of college and would like to take advantage of the current promo. i'll take a free ipod touch any day, even though i'm sure they'll come out with new ones within a month or two. don't care. i'm a designer and ever since i got a 30" cinema display at work, my current 17" imac at home just seems like its a large ipod. a 24" imac looks really good to me right now.

but...

i flirted with the idea of getting a macbook and a 23" display for a while, and with the notebook and cinema display lines both due for updates, i wonder if it's worth waiting for? imagine a nice aluminum 15 (or 17"!) macbook with a 23 or 24" display? it would be like having 1.5 computers.

but at the same time, it's hard to say no to those imacs, they look great, and it's a better value. maybe i should just save up for a macbook for next year. who knows.

anyone care to offer their two cents?

ataylor

2. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

I'd get the new 24" iMac now. Its just been updated, is crazy over powered - meaning you'll be able to run anything you want with no worries. The 24" screen on those guys are very nice.

Plus its about the same price for the macbook + monitor or an iMac, but an iMac will last you much longer.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I run a MBP with a 23" and can't live without the extra real estate. But... the new iMac is really nice and you don't want to miss a free ipod. If it doesn't suit your needs in a year, sell it and buy a new macbook.

4. ataylor thread starter macrumors member

yeah, maybe it's best to go with the 24" imac. that's been my gut feeling all along, but sometimes i think a notebook would be nice. maybe the ipod touch will fill a little bit of that perceived need with its wi-fi email and internet, right?

then, maybe next year, if the price is right, i can buy a simple macbook... for my wife. :)

watch, as soon as i get my imac, they'll come out with a 30" version...

ataylor

5. apple. macrumors member

if you need major portibility go for the macbook and then if you need power, for the imac.
    easy as that:]

6. Quanger macrumors newbie

Not sure if the Macbook would be powerful enough to run design softwares smoothly, so based solely on that, I would go with the 24" iMac. They also look fantastic!....

7. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

If you dont need to go mobile, definitely get the iMac.

8. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I reccomend the 24 inch imac then later on buy a macbook air. That's my plan