iMac 24" Nvidia 7600gs gone for a 3rd time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GlynJones, Apr 28, 2009.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hello,
    A couple of years ago I purchased an iMac c2d 24" BTO with upgraded Graphics (7600 256mb), 2 GB of memory and a 500 GB hard drive. I'd had a few little issues with it over the first few months but this seemed to get rectified by a firmware upgrade but I decided rather wisely to purchase the extended applecare for it.

Last year I started to get the rather infamous graphic glitches and hangs on this but a reboot usually fixed this. This steadily got worse and worse to the extent that anything graphically challenging was a no no.

Early this year I took it in for repair and a new logic board and graphics board was put in. 6 weeks later it went again but this time it would not boot at all. Another logic board and graphics board was put in. Less than 24 hours later it hung and would not boot with the apple logo being corrupted. After a few hours everything booted fine. Last night it hung again with the same corruption to the apple logo and I left it powered off this morning in the hope that it will reboot when I get home.

I'm after some advice as to what to do as it looks like I’ve had 3 logic boards and 3 graphics boards failed on this. I use this machine a lot for work and I cannot repeatedly lose this. Ironically I was backing up the machine when it hung :rolleyes:. I have a Macbook Pro so I should be able to get it into target mode to back it up.

What are the chances of me getting this machine replaced as 3 failures is a bit excessive. I'm in the UK so the lemon law won't apply here. Yes I can get it fixed again but my confidence in getting a machine that I don't have to backup constantly on the off chance it will fail is wearing thin. I’m not after a free upgrade I just want a machine I can rely on.

Thanks for any advice given.

Glyn.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Call the AppleCare site in Cork, Ireland and report the multiple repeat repairs. Even though the lemon law doesn't apply in your region Apple has its own policies regarding multiple repairs to address the same issue.

3. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried switching on after I got home and no dice.

Phoned AppleCare when I got home and explained the situation and was passed to tear 2 support. Explained again and after consulting with Customer Relations agreed to replace the iMac :D

Was offered the 24-inch: 2.93GHz with NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256MB memory. Which I accepted. They did explain that my iMac was over 2 years old and this represented a significant speed bump in comparison so I can't really complain. I'm not greedy and if it gets rid of my problems then I'm happy with that.

Just put my old iMac into target firewire mode to back it up before it's packed up to be picked up by TNT. Once received by Apple they will dispatch my new machine.

So do you think I've lucked out because I do :D:D:D:D:D

Glyn