iMac 24" or 30" ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shoulin333, Oct 22, 2007.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

I own a SR MBP, i have fallen in love with mac osx, but i sold my desktop PC to buy this laptop and in turn have no nice external monitor. I bought a few lcd's and returned them all,... they all seem soo subpar to the display on the MBP (15") ..

so my options are to buy a 2.4 24" iMac and have a second computer, or buy a 30" ACD and hook my MBP up when i am home...

the main reason that i am even compairing a new computer to a monitor is the fact that i have a Matt MBP because the glossy on the MBP really buggs me...

now being that the iMac's are glass is the glare as bad as the crappy fake coating they use to make the MBP screen glossy?

i have seen them in the apple store, but the lights in there are crazy, i just wondering about actual home use...

... also as i wont be using this computer for gaming, is there anyplace i can buy the last gen 24" white Matt iMac that is new, not refirb? (that might be a good inbetween)

2. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Just by a GOOD external LCD. Both the 30" Dell or Apple displays are nice. Also the Dell 24" and the Apple 23" are decent choices as well (if you'd like to save a bit of money)

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

ACD. MBP runs it great and it is a great monitor. I have the same setup (MPB, ACD30), and constantly hooking/unhooking it is a real hassle, but the screen is much better than a 24"Glassy iMac.

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I'd go with the ACD as well. I have my macbook pro hooked up to a 22inch lcd and it is great. Hooking and unhooking really isn't that big of a deal for me.

However... what do you have against 24inch white imac refurbs? In general refurbs are just as good (if not better as far as being checked again and again) then buying new, other then the box, so unless you really have your heart set on a shiny box, I am not sure what the problem is.

Anyway, it is nice having all your stuff on one computer though... so ACD or dellify IMO :)

5. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didnt know the refirbs had the same warranty, so i am not against that...

hrm, i like the idea of not having to unplug/plug, but syncing might be an issue.... i have an old pc working as a server... mabey i can just save everything to there and get it anywere..

is there anything built into osx that allows me to just turn my laptop on once a day to sync up before i head out to class? (the iMac would stay on 24/7)