iMac 24" or MacPro 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lakkadshaw, Nov 1, 2010.

1. lakkadshaw macrumors newbie

I already have a lenovo thinkpad sl500, 3GB ram and 2Ghz core2duo.
    I want to buy another computer for android and iphone development, and to use it as my primary computer, I also do a lot of programming in C#.
    I am confused weather to buy a core i3 iMac or a core i5 Macpro.
    I also like the big screen, but I also love the portability and style of Macpro.
    I am very confused what to buy??

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It always boils down to portability. If you need it, get the MacBook Pro. Otherwise get the iMac since a desktop computer gives more bang-for-the-buck, a bigger screen, and much better ergonomics.

3. opera57 macrumors 6502

If using it as your primary computer the iMac is probably the way to go.. much more comfortable when using for extended periods of time and the larger screen size is also a plus! If portablility is required then the 15" macbook pro would be a great buy but also consider a monitor to use with it when at home! [​IMG]

4. lakkadshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

But I don't have a external monitor.
    Right now I use the lenevo laptop as my primiary computer. I require a laptop to take it to the college . The lenovo will do that thing, but the macpro will be cool. But the problem is that macpro will not serve as primary computer because I am tired of using a cramped 15" display. I am really confused.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you intend to keep the Lenovo for classes, then certainly get the iMac. Forget the "cool" factor -- you only need one notebook computer. And a desktop computer is much nicer at a desk.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Absolutely iMac. Very little reason to have two laptops and your uses don't seem to warrant it. If you can afford it, go for the 27" iMac. The screen real estate is a huge boon to productivity.

7. lakkadshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I can afford a iMac 27", but for that I will have sacrifice iPhone 4.

8. nagromme, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

For 99% of the population*, I recommend a laptop PLUS an external screen and keyboard/mouse. If budget is tight, aim cheaper on the display (but check reviews; Dell has some good deals). Note that you may need an adapter to use some displays with some laptops—a little extra cost.

This setup is much like an iMac (with a little more cable clutter), but you have your cake and eat it too.

Even if you don’t “need” portability, you’ll appreciate it sometimes. (Being able to work/play in any room of the house, or in bed, or at a friends’ place, or at a meeting, etc.) I know you have a laptop now, but you may find you prefer to be on OS X full time :) In which case you could even sell the Lenovo for a little cash. In any case, the MacBoo Pro will likely outlast the Lenovo’s usable (and decent-performing) life, and when the Lenovo retires you’ll need another laptop. You could solve that now.

Or save money and start with just the MacBook Pro, knowing you can always add an external display later. (But if you’re going for AppleCare and an Apple display, it may need to be bought at the same time as the MacBook. Check on that. I personally skip AppleCare because my credit card doubles warranties anyway. Anyway, Apple’s displays are nice, especially with the LED backlight, but cheaper displays are out there!)

* Exception: if you’re a hard core 3D gamer, check benchmarks on the games you care about before you go with a laptop. Maybe an iMac is worth it. (BareFeats.com has a lot of comparisons with games on different Macs.)