iMac 24" or Windows PC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Husk, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Husk macrumors newbie

Hi, I need some help regarding buying an iMac.

I've never had a Mac Computer before that I have used frequently, other than my Dad's Macbook Air, so I'm very familiar with the operating system. I need help deciding whether or not to purchase an iMac.

I own a Mid to High end gaming PC. I use it for school documents and other things. I also play games on it mainly and use it for iTunes and browsing the Internet. The specs for my system are:

7900 GTX Video card by nVidia
    1 GB RAM
    Intel Core Duo 2.4GHz
    Windows XP

Now, I own a gaming console, so most of gaming needs take place there. I still enjoy playing PC games from time to time, especially Crysis. Now I'd like to know, if it's worth keeping my PC or whether or not I should sell it and purchase an iMac with the following specs:

24 Inch screen
    8800 GS Video card by nVidia
    2 or 4 GB RAM
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz

I'm absolutely in love with the Mac operating system. I'm just a little unsure as to whether this would be okay for gaming or at least better than my PC, since my PC handled fine for me. I'd like to know if I can expect better results with the iMac or if it's recommended to take this step?

Thanks.

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Higher clocked core 2 duo is obviously better than a lower clocked core duo, and the 8800 will wipe the floor with your 7900. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

3. Husk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...I see what you mean.

I live in the Middle East, so if I were to order the iMac through the US Apple Store, would it ship it to the Middle East by any chance? Since I can't seem to find a 3.06GHz iMac on the Apple ME Store.

Sorry for the stupid question.

4. auto123 macrumors member

auto123

meh, my windows side of me is acting up and is telling me to tell you to keep the xp machine.

if you add some extra ram (which will be a lot cheaper than buying a whole other system) you can run vista well. my mac buddy (bought a mac and is hardcore mac person) bought a hp laptop and likes vista too.

but trust me vista does suck if you don't at least have a 2.0 ghz dual core (or 3.o ghz single core) processor and at least of 2 gigs of ram.

hope this helps.

5. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

did u come on a Mac website to ask whether u should buy a Mac or PC???

Mac All the way

6. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

That is far from a "mid to hign-end gaming pc". I'd order parts for a new gaming PC and purchase a macbook or macbook pro later. A consumer mac like the Imac won't give you good performance for gaming at all.

7. singhy44 macrumors member

If you find your current set-up acceptable, and don't want to make a huge step up, the iMac will be ideal for your needs. My 3.06Ghz iMac should be here next month, and I plan to use Vista to play Crysis, and many other games. Will tell you how that goes.

8. Zortrium macrumors 6502

The high-end iMac with the 8800 is a respectable gaming machine even by PC standards.

9. Etherz10 macrumors member

The 3.06GHz with 8800 will easily be able to handle your games, Very Powerful Machine (4GB RAM will be a big part because most PC cant Handle that and will make your gaming Experience So Much Better)

10. ninook macrumors newbie

You Know What They Say " Once You've Tried Mac You Never Go Back"