iMac 24" pixel ghosting -- chances of Apple repairing/replacing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ataylor, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ataylor macrumors member

i wrote a thread last week about some pixel issues. i've now figured out the cause of the faint pixel lines that have mysteriously begun to appear on the far left part of my screen. the pixel lines appear where i have had application windows up for an extended amount of time. saturday i had safari open for only an hour or two and a line developed on the left edge of the window, which remained there for several hours afterwards. i've also noticed lines develop on the bottom of the window as well. the pixel lines stay burned in for a couple hours and then slowly fade to normal. this makes my claim a little more tricky i think.

i've tried switching from a dark desktop background to a lighter grey, but the ghost lines still manage to show up if the computer gets used for more than just a brief period of time.

it's annoying and will probably only get worse, so i think it's time to head up to the apple store. what are my chances of them repairing/replacing my iMac? (it's less than a year old and therefore under warranty.)

2. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

It will get worse, this is a graphics card issue, not the LCD itself and its a good thing you are under warranty. Get the extended warranty when you are at the apple store because it will be much cheaper than having your logic board repaired at full price down the line

3. ataylor thread starter macrumors member

update: i took the computer in to the apple store. the guy that helped me at the genius bar was understanding, even though he couldn't see the problem as the pixel lines take an hour or two to appear. he ordered a logic board and said they'd check it out. well, the apple store called on monday and said they weren't able to replicate the problem. i proceeded to further explain the issue to the tech guy who said he'd keep checking it out. he called back yesterday and still no luck getting the pixel lines to appear.

what's the deal? is it something with my power source? or the power cable? or do i need to have the computer plugged into a surge protector (currently it's plugged directly into the wall)? those are the only differences i can think of between apple testing my computer and me using it. or is apple being sneaky about these well-documented display issues on the 24" iMacs?

maybe they already replaced the logic board and that solved the problem? but to me it sounds like they were only going to replace it if they could replicate the problem, which they claim they have not been able to do. what should i do if the lines appear again?

4. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

That's super frustrating. Like not being able to reproduce the noise for your mechanic. How long does your warranty have left on it? Are there other Apple stores in the area?

5. ataylor thread starter macrumors member

i bought the computer in august, so i'm still under the original warranty. before that expires i definitely plan on getting the extended apple care package.

the apple store in question is in salt lake city. i live about 45 minutes away, which makes it tricky for me to take my computer in to show them the issue, because the pixel lines will often fade out over an hour or two. i suppose i could take the computer to one of several places that are authorized to do repairs that are a five minute drive away.

meh. i wish apple would own up to the 24" display issues.

6. mozadek macrumors member

Use a camera to video tape the problem and then show it to the guy at the genius bar.

7. nss.aries macrumors member

I had the ATI card problem (iMac randomly frozen), got the iMac substituted, and now...

[​IMG]

Is there a software to "clean" the ghosting image? I see that with total white this doesn't happen.

8. nefertiti1912 macrumors newbie

Hi, I experience the same problem. What did you finally do? I called Apple and they told me that i have to take my Imac at a store...Can you help, because i don't want to go there and tell me that they can't see the "lines"...?