iMac 24" - Power Consumption

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dale-Y, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Dale-Y macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Could anyone tell me roughly how much power a iMac 24" consumes? Basically, I'm looking to buy a UPS and wondered what would be the most suitable.

The Apple site has not proved fruitful on this!

Many thanks all for your help.

Regards,
    Dale-Y

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

FWIW when my power went out I got about 10mins. from my APS battery back-up/surge protector using a 20" iMac. It wasn't a large unit but enough to get me by when I'm home. Hope this helps :eek:

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Around 100 watts seconded for the 24", I just checked mine.

Airport Extreme active, screen brightness set to maximum, usb keyboard and mouse connected, mostly idle cpu (typical web surfing) - slightly below 110W.

Same as above, but screen brightness set to minimum - just above 80W.

About 135W peak with full brightness, both cores 100% loaded and copying a large file from an encrypted disk image on the hard drive to and unencrypted folder on the same drive.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

100W under what load? idle? web surfing? folding?

FWIW I just bought a Kill-A-Watt and have slowly been measuring many of the power hogs/vampires. So far my Dell tower wins (or is that loses). At the UPS It consumes 110 W while completely idle. That goes up to over 240W if I'm doing something CPU/HDD intensive like compressing video.

I have yet to connect it to my iMac, but I'm seriously considering replacing the tower with another iMac/mini just to be able to let the stupid thing sleep reliably, something which I have yet to find a Windows box able to do gracefully.

B

6. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

We just installed a couple classrooms and labs full of some Dell Optiplex GX620's with 3 GHz Pentium D processors. At idle, they suck up 250 Watts!

This is pretty promising for the iMac...I may be getting swayed further and further towards pulling the trigger on a 24...

7. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Makes sense to me. All of those mobile parts would undoubtedly put the iMac and mini at the lowest end of desktop power consumption.

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

How common are UPS in the American home?

In the UK there almost the sole preserve of business.

Remember reading somewhere that in some respects India's ancient power grid network is superior to the US arrangement.

9. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

I don't know anyone that uses a UPS in their home unless they have a home business. I think that the quality of the power is more varied here based on location. The power companies are privately owned so I have had two or three different companies as I have moved to different areas.

edit: Everyone uses surge protectors of course just not a lot of consumer demand for a UPS here. At least in my group of associates and friends.

10. frenchonskype macrumors newbie

frenchonskype

Are these consumptions for an hour/ day / month??