Imac 24" RAM.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paulg1979, May 12, 2007.

1. paulg1979 macrumors member

Hi,

Just upgraded my 24" RAM to 2 x 1GB crucial RAM sticks. Is it worth selling the 2 512 sticks? Will they fit in any other imacs other than the 24" as I don't think its worth selling unless they fit in other macs.

Thanks

Paul

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Don't sell them. If you have problems with your mac (knock on wood), you may want to put the original ram back.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it will work in other intel iMacs (and even many PCs).

4. paulg1979 thread starter macrumors member

Thats a result. So I can put in the desciption that they will fit in 17", 20" and 24" iMacs?

Is it really worth keeping. Whats the chances of the crucials giving up the ghost? Is it a common problem?

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's more a case of holding on to your original RAM for if you have to send the machine to Apple for repair under warranty. They may not like the fact that third party RAM is installed. In reality, unless it's a RAM specific problem, they shouldn't care, but it's your call.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To expand on your point as you said they generally don't care. But Kernel Panics and other machine problems can be the RAM or something else, so it's worth keeping the original RAM.

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've never kept RAM from a new machine I've upgraded, I want some money back!

I say sell them instead of keeping them, but let the system run with the new RAM for a little while then sell them.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, they will fit in 17", 20" and 24" intel CoreDuo and Core2Duo iMacs only. They will not fit into any of the 17" or 20" G5 iMacs.

However they will also fit into intel Minis, MacBook Pros and MacBooks.

And also, they will probably work in the final Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz DL Superdrive/HD screen model. It takes DDR2-533 SODIMMs but the 667's you have will likely clock down to 533 OK.

The challenge with selling them of course is that everybody is in the same boat as you are, machine came with 512 Mb SODIMMs, and they have to come out to put in 1 Gb's. The only buyer would be someone with a machine that shipped 1 x 512, or 2 x 256 and they only want to go to 1 Gb total.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

It should fit into the Rev. C G5 iMacs, right? They also used 533MHz DDR2.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Arrrgh... no. SO-DIMM vs DIMM -- 200 pins vs 240 pins -- 2" wide vs. 5" long

It's like saying: this Ford F-150 piston should fit in your Focus, they're both Fords? :)

DDR2-533 describes the speed and the electrical signalling, not the physical package.. You can have DDR2-533 DIMMs, SODIMMs, and MicroDIMMs

Photo

11. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I know the difference between the sizes ;). Sorry, I could have sworn that Rev. C G5s had SO-DIMM memory...my bad :eek: