iMac 24 replace

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pietrov, Jun 20, 2014.

1. pietrov macrumors regular

pietrov

Hi guys, my old 24'' core2 extreme imac is getting really old and slow. :(
    So I'm thinking to change it with a new one. ;)
    Note that I actually have a 13'' rMBP i7. :apple:
    I use my 24'' as an always on machine, able to rip dvd/cd heavily downloads and so on.
    I've seen that there are some 21.5'' iMac in refurbished, but I only see machines with a 5400 rpm disk (the standard) and a 27'' iMac in refurbished with a 7200 rpm disk.
    No fusion/ssd machines there, unless I allow an i5 processor.
    Generally the 21 and 27 have 8 Gb RAM.
    Should I prefer an i5 with a fusion drive or an i7 with a normal drive (5400 seems odd to me, and the possibility to replace the drive seems difficult too, according to ifixit)?
    Or should I consider a new and totally configured machine? :confused:

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

For most general use, I would say that Fusion/SSD with a slower processor will run rings around a HDD (any speed) with a faster processor. That would be things like launching apps - editing photos - running Safari - word processing - etc. plus it simply starts up and shuts down faster.

But, there are exceptions - ripping a DVD for example is much more processor-intensive than disk-intensive. So if your primary use is hands-off lengthy processor-intensive tasks where you're not actually sitting at the machine, then the drive speed probably won't affect you much at all.