iMac 24" Screen Flicker on boot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jurisprudence, May 15, 2011.

1. Jurisprudence macrumors member

I just bought a 2nd hand 24" 2007 alu iMac 2.4ghz. Didn't know, and wasn't told the HDD was dying, their were scratches on the front screen & it was missing the bolts holding the rear of the chassis to the front aluminium casing.

But apart from all that nightmare my big problem is the screen flickers like crazy when it boots and for up to 10 minutes after. It appears to settle down and then runs ok but it seems the time it takes to settle is getting longer and I'm terrified its a dying dog. To me it looks like a power issue of some sort, the graphics card is definitely displaying a picture behind the flickering, the OS is loading perfectly, sound is present etc. Think of the flickering like a damaged neon light flicker but faster. Does anyone have any idea if I could fix this relatively easily/cheaply or indeed what exactly is going on.

The other option is to try get a refund or sue the guy who sold it to me as being in good condition.

2. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Just get your money back. how much did you pay?? I sold my 2008 24" iMac in pristine condition for 1000 if you payed anything close to that then you my friend have been owned.

3. Jurisprudence thread starter macrumors member

I paid €400. I was hoping to find a solution to the screen flicker as the guy who sold it to me is quiet a long way away from me. The HDD can be replaced and the screen marks I can deal with, but if its dying then no good. Thanks for the reply aramosc

4. Jurisprudence thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else have any idea. Could it be a power pin connection problem. Has anyone else in the Rumors world ever seen/faced something like this before? Pleasings muchings for helpings:)

5. Jurisprudence thread starter macrumors member

Got to the bottom of it. A pin on the LED power connector cable had burnt out. Will have to replace a cable, not an iMac:)

6. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Awesome. Glad it's a less expensive fix!