iMac 24" - Screen hum

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rmlloyd, Sep 25, 2007.

1. rmlloyd macrumors newbie

I am wondering if anyone else with an iMac has this problem. Whenever I set the brightness to anything less than maximum, the screen hums/buzzes quite annoyingly.

So, I run my iMac 100% of the time on full brightness to keep it quiet (I guess its buzzing out of ear range).

2. Frommel macrumors newbie

well i don't have it, guess you need to bring it back to the mac store.

3. Italchef macrumors 6502

Mine is quiet at any brightness. No issues with noise, monitor etc.

Mick

4. wanderlust4ever macrumors member

I got my new mac yesterday but like Rmlloyd's it hums like hell. Is there anything i can do about it or should i get onto apple about it. Bit of a bummer as were off on our hols for the next 4 weeks. Can anybody please give me some advice

5. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Is this the new model or the old white one? I know the white had this issue (but it was fixed some time ago afaik). Anyhow, it's not normal and you should contact apple about it.

6. wanderlust4ever macrumors member

Hi Rainydays many thanks for the fast reply to the problem
    Will give apple a ring tomorrow morn.
    Cheers mate

7. jaathan macrumors newbie

I know this is a little off topic but my PSP has the same problem when its at its lowest brightness but it doesnt seem as annoying as the sound your iMac is making. Simply take it back to the Apple Store :)

8. RichyHo macrumors member

RichyHo

9. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I have 20" and 23" Cinema Displays that do exactly the same thing: Mild hum at all brightness levels except maximum. Both are almost two years old now with no problems.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I have a hummer (white 24") - but it doesn't bother me since in my bedroom I would never want to dim the screen anyway. But you can read a lot about the issue here.

11. rmlloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone, and for the additional threadlink queshy. I am not suprised my mac isnt the only one with the issue. Must be a fault in the backlight or something.

It's annoying when the screensaver comes on as that dims the screen slightly. There doesnt seem to be anyway to stop this.

I wont be taking my mac back to the store as I have had it for over a year now. I will have to live with the occasional hum and full brightness for now.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Go to settings --> energy saver --> options and there should be a box to stop it from dimming before going to sleep/screensaver?

13. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

No buzz or hum here either.

Could be a bad ballast or transformer on the CCFL's

14. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Mine hums. Though my is not the current gen. There were several posts about the screen hum last year. Its the one thing that really annoys me about my iMac.

15. rainydays macrumors 6502a

I just realized that I hadn't dimmed the screen on this one in a quiet room. Found out that this one also has the hum. The previous two didn't have this. And the fans on this one is a lot noisier than on the previous ones as well.

Perhaps this issue was introduced when they were trying to fix another issue? I've noticed that the backlighting is a bit more even on this one, perhaps it was traded for a hum?

Either way, I still don't consider it normal.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is a interesting thread for me, I also have this issue. Annoying almost like a electric razor buzz then I set my brightness to full and it dissappeared on the spot. This is a 20" I am referring to. Noticed that before running at say 50% brightness it would buzz for about 10 miniutes.