Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frome

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
imag0008oj.jpg
So what happened was screen artifacts appeared on the screen (See screenshot) and the computer froze with music looping, similar to a kernel panic.

Now when I start the iMac and the apple logo and spinning progress bar appear, but it quickly freezes soon afterwards. When I attempted to boot off the OSX install disc, the imac has a kernel panic soon after the apple logo appears.

imag0009hz.jpg

The imac: 24", 2.8Ghz, 4GB, 8800 GS.

I am presuming this has something to do with the GPU, but has anyone seen this sort of screen artifact before or has any idea what could be causing it.

frome

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yeah i didn't get applecare with the iMac, definitely regretting it. Will try to reinstall again tonight.

Having a bad run with the nvidia gpu's considering my Macbook pro's 8600 gpu only died only a month ago :(, glad apple's leaning toward ATI now.

AppleZwei

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
How would he get a 27" out of this?

My iMac (24" with a nvidia 8800GS) died four times within a six month period, it was even out of warranty ( I purchased an out of warranty replacement and it died every time within the part warranty) and I'm getting my 27" this week.

frome

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
My iMac (24" with a nvidia 8800GS) died four times within a six month period, it was even out of warranty ( I purchased an out of warranty replacement and it died every time within the part warranty) and I'm getting my 27" this week.

Ouch that sucks. Yeah I've heard a couple of reports about the repairs failing with 8800GS so I think I won't pay for it to get repaired, just have to go back to my PC sigh.

Also I don't think a USB to video adapter would help, the iMac doesn't start up, even when starting up on a mac in firewire mode or off a windows install disc. I'll try an external monitor tonight, but I doubt it will get past the apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.