Imac 24` - should I purchase it now, or later?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ryuenten, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. ryuenten macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
    #1
    First.. My english is very bad. So you know. But I hope you understand what I mean; I have be intreset to purchase a Imac 24` for a week ago. Or.. Imac or Macbook PRO, it dependes when the update comes. And that it's my question: When do you think a update for Imac will come? Will the update be much, much better then the current Imac? Should I wait? I have look into the Buyers guide, and it told me to wait. But. Right now I don´t have any computer, and I writing this post on a PC. Bad, bad.

    Please - tell me what I should do.
     
  2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

    Eric Lewis

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2007
    Location:
    CANADA? eh?
    #2
    the iMac ....will just be some speed upgrade or something


    its still an amazing machine...id buy it now..cause there is always updates coming!
     
  3. errol macrumors 6502

    errol

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    #3
    I plan on buying one myself -- I'm not waiting!
     
  4. ryuenten thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
  5. signatus macrumors member

    signatus

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    Location:
    Andalucía, Spain
    #5
    Updates will most likely include the new Intel Penryn processors. These are better for both Macbooks and iMacs (both use laptod specs) since they produce less heat. They are also a little bit faster, but IMO heat reduction (which is quite important) is the most outstanding new feature (other people may provide you with more advantages of Penryn). When this updates happen is just speculation. My guess (and wish) is that it'll be some time around mid-February (once MB Air starts to be delivered), but other people say that updates won't occur until June. Who knows it for sure? Only Steve.
    Most likely, in the very next days (next Tuesday??), there will be a OS X update to 10.5.2
    It's very unlikely that we'll see Blu-Ray drives/toasters in the next new MbP or iMacs.

    The decision of buying now or waiting is up to you and your needs. Buy what best suits your needs and when you need it. Remember that no matter when you buy your computer, it will be updated in less than a year.
     
  6. CWallace macrumors 603

    CWallace

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #6
    I would be surprised to see the iMac updated before this summer and at that point it will likely just be with newer CPUs/systemboards.

    So if it meets your needs now, I say go for it.
     
  7. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

    bluedoggiant

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    MD & ATL,GA
    #7
    It's safe, but maybe in 4 months they will bump the 2ghz to 2.1ghz and keep everything else the same. Also they may get Penryn.


    OR A 28INCHER!!!!:p:p:p

    haha

    EDIT: maybe they will sell the 2600 in the lower model as well.
     
  8. bobhammer macrumors member

    bobhammer

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2007
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #8
    I dont think there will be any update for the iMac in the foreseeable future, but i am looking forward for a blu-ray upgrade actually, hope they will let the exist user to have the upgrade option as well!!:)
     
  9. kabunaru Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #9
    They might be updated with 2.1, 2.5, 2.6 and 2.8 GHz Penryn processors and better graphics cards.
     
  10. MacCurry macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    #10
    In my opinion, Apple shouldn't be selling any of the iMacs with just 1GB of RAM. They should all get 2GB in the next update with a bump in processor speed. The 2.0 --> 2.2, 2.4 --> 2.6, 2.8 --> 3.0 and a slight improvement in the video card.
     
  11. Norvor macrumors newbie

    Norvor

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    #11
    Yeah i really hope they get better graphics cards at least though. 256mb of video ram is great, but I hope they make it an option to get better.
     
  12. Nichod macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #12
    How difficult is it to get too?
     
  13. wwwdotcomdotnet macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2007
    #13
    I'm in the same boat as you. I am waiting for 3 more weeks, and if there is no update I will just bite the bullet and go with the cheaper of the 24" models.
     
  14. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Tampa
    #14
    Im in the same boat, I want to buy now but gonna hold out for a bit longer to see what happens...Im not concerned w/ it being faster, just would like to see the heat issue cool down :)
     
  15. wwwdotcomdotnet macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2007
    #15
    I'm just concerned that I am waiting for nothing and the iMac will not get an update until Montevina. Its not that I absolutely need to buy one now, but my Windows laptop is becoming ancient and a new iMac would be great. I can wait for a few more weeks, but after that I am just going to buy the current one. I think I would be more mad that I have been waiting since November for an update than if they were updated right after I bought it.
     
  16. Macchino macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Location:
    Copenhagen
    #16
    Well... I have no idea about when they are going to update it, but the current line seems pretty ok, so i ordered my new iMac 3 weeks ago (still waiting for it). If you want it... buy it. Or you could wait for 1 week-to 1 year. I'm pretty shure they will update it within that timeframe:D
     
  17. uscmatt macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    #17
    I walk by an apple store atleast once a week and it's getting really tempting to pick up a 24" considering my G4 powerbook is dead.
     
  18. Macchino macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Location:
    Copenhagen
    #18
    Then buy it... for me the waiting is killing me. I want my imac! NOW!
     

Share This Page