iMac 24" Still A Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VeganHipster, Jul 19, 2011.

1. VeganHipster macrumors regular

The 24" iMacs go for relatively cheap on craigslist in my area, around 800-1000 USD. I don't need the sandybridge iMac, and while it would be nice, 27" Screen is to big for me IMO and I only need to be running iMovie, Garageband, and FCP.

To anyone who owns a 24" iMac, can you tell me how it performs playing Starcraft II? It is the only video game I play on PC, so if it can even run on low I'll be fine. Thank you!

2. Vantage Point, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Personally I would consider a 21.5" refurb iMac instead. They start out at $929 for a 2010 model and include free shipping with a 1 year, same as new warranty. The base model iMacs with a i3 processor will be faster than than a C2D CPU, it includes a 256 graphics card. The next model up, 2011, goes for $1,019 and includes a 512 graphics card and a second generation i5 CPU which is even better.

See refurbs here http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21?mco=MjEwNzM4MjE

Apple refurbs often look and perform like brand new. I had a 2009 refurb iMac and aside from the box it was impossible to tell the difference.

Also, these models include a wireless keyboard and magic mouse which is a step up from the 24" models. 21.5" models have a 1920 x 1080 resolution while the 24" are 1920 x 1200 - a would prefer the 1920 x 1200 ratio but the newer backlit models have better screens and more control if too bright

3. VeganHipster thread starter macrumors regular

While I would prefer to buy that, after sales tax and shipping it goes over 1000 and I am looking to spend around 800 and buy something local. Again, I Don't need sandy bridge, just need a computer run the software I need. So do you think the 24 will work?

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Shipping is free on the refurbs but I see your point. You should be fine with the 24" just try to get a good price. Personally, I prefer the 24" size over either the 21 or 27". I had a 27" iMac and the higher resolution 110 ppi was hard on my eyes and I sold it. The 24" has a resolution of 94 ppi which is perfect and much easier on the eyes - this can be very important if you are older like I am. Good luck

5. Brian33, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Hi -- I've got an iMac8,1 "early 2008" 24" iMac I bought in May 2008. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz processor, upgraded the RAM myself to 4 GB (the max), original Hitachi 320 GB hard drive.

I have been and continue to be very happy with this machine and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. (However, I tend to hold onto machines as long as I can.) The only application you specifically mention that I use is iMovie, and I've been happy with its performance there. I'm strictly a beginner but I've made several movies from my MiniDV tapes using iMovie '08, and authored a few DVDs with iDVD '08 and Toast. Of course the render times can take a couple hours, but everything works out OK. I have not had any problems with UI lag or anything like that in iMovie. I've just gotten iMovie '11 and it seems to work just fine but I haven't actually made a movie in that, yet.

I'm still on iPhoto '08 and have 5,500 photos in the library. Never had any performance issues there, either.

I'm not much of a gamer, but here's what I've played, all with no problem:

Age of Empires II and III (for Mac -- these seem to run fine but I never really got into it so my games did not have huge numbers of units),
    Asphalt6, Osmos (lightweight game but neat!), Portal (the first one, via Steam for Mac, although I never could get past room 16 or some such), The Sims 3 (plays just great), Pinball HD and War Pinball (from the Mac App store), World of Goo.

The most demanding and the only 3D game I play is a soaring (glider) flight simulator that is Windows only so I use Boot Camp and an XP partition. Condor: The Competition Soaring Simulator. It runs perfectly, even with some pretty heavy-duty sceneries loaded.

Surely someone else can tell you about performance of Starcraft II...

Regards,
    Brian33

6. pac1687 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 24" Mid-2007 Aluminum iMac with the Core 2 Extreme 2.8ghz processor, 4GB RAM and 2600 Pro graphics for $700. This machine is for my girlfriend as she wanted a larger screen to work on when she goes back to school. I did decide to load up Starcraft II and it actually performs pretty admirably considering its age. I typically see around 20-25 FPS on Medium settings at 1280x800 and looks pretty decent. This is playing the last mission which has tons of units on screen. Overall, it was a great purchase and it's still a beautiful screen (better than my 27" iMac in many respects)!