Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icewind

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Scotland
Hi Maler,

Those instructions don't actually imply taking the back off the iMac. The only part that comes off is the aluminium stand. In order to get inside the 24" iMac, you must go in through the front. This is totally different approach to that taken with the G5 iMac (that was much easier to get inside).

I too am interested to find a Service Manual or something for the 24".

maler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
Praha, Czech republic
Hi Icewind,

mea culpa, i took a look on a pictures again later, and found, that they are just moving iMac, not take apart a back. Ok, what we can do, just wait :). I simply love those 1G iMacs G5, so easy to open. Does someone know, why apple changed this? Was it too expensive to let users repair it themselves? or it was too expensive for manufacturing? Or they just need to comply with something, so they wrapped it in aluminium, so it's not accessible anymore?

Big-iMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
maler said:
Hi Icewind,

mea culpa, i took a look on a pictures again later, and found, that they are just moving iMac, not take apart a back. Ok, what we can do, just wait :). I simply love those 1G iMacs G5, so easy to open. Does someone know, why apple changed this? Was it too expensive to let users repair it themselves? or it was too expensive for manufacturing? Or they just need to comply with something, so they wrapped it in aluminium, so it's not accessible anymore?

looks like iMac 24" is very easy to open.. it takes about 15 min.
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28012

Icewind

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Scotland
Excellent

Thanks Big-Mac,

Those are some neat photos. Like I said in my other thread, I did get the thing opened without any problem. What stumped me was taking the screen out. You need one of those little TX tools (like a star-headed screwdriver, but not Philips). I think they come in different sizes, i.e. TX-05, TX-10, TX-20 etc. By the looks of it the screen is held in place by TX-05 screws and I didn't have one of those (which was long and slim enough to get down into the recesses where the screws are).

Thanks again for the link... I've been looking for information like that all week (without success).

Hey Maler, I got confused by the same image too. I thought the same as you, that the back was coming off WITH the stand, same as the G5's. Hopefully, my replacement will be fine and I won't need to open it up at all. It should arrive tomorrow afternoon, but I'm working away from home (in London) so won't get my paws on it until Friday. It's going to be a slow week for me :(

Cheers Matey.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wow, that's a lot of air in there!

What's the black box beside the HD. Another fan?

(And it sounds like other MXM graphics cards DO fit physically! But firmware/drivers are another matter.)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Do these shots indicate conclusively that the CPU chip is soldered rather then socketed?

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
nagromme said:
Do these shots indicate conclusively that the CPU chip is soldered rather then socketed?

The opposite. Later on in the linked thread, the OP says that he switched the CPUs with the 24" and a 20" CD - both worked fine.

David

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
nagromme said:

Caslon's last post on page 2 indicates that he successfully swapped CPUS from the Core 2 Duo 24" to an 20" with a Core Duo, and both booted up and worked!

So that means it is socketed! And more confirmation that Merom is drop-in compatible with Yonah!

He also tried 2 other MXM modules from PCs. Unfortunately they only appear to work in Windows XP, and OS X won't boot with them installed. *Sigh*

But at least this proves that the 24" is in theory upgradeable!

Now let's just hope (petition maybe?) that someone will produce and sell a Mac compatible MXM aftermarket upgrade card series.

bluewire

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
capran said:
Caslon's last post on page 2 indicates that he successfully swapped CPUS from the Core 2 Duo 24" to an 20" with a Core Duo, and both booted up and worked!

So that means it is socketed! And more confirmation that Merom is drop-in compatible with Yonah!

He also tried 2 other MXM modules from PCs. Unfortunately they only appear to work in Windows XP, and OS X won't boot with them installed. *Sigh*

But at least this proves that the 24" is in theory upgradeable!

Now let's just hope (petition maybe?) that someone will produce and sell a Mac compatible MXM aftermarket upgrade card series.

Isn't the Merom plateau at the 2.33 speed mark? Its a nice upgrade for Core Duo but the Core 2 Duo chipset isn't going any further, right?

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
bluewire said:
Isn't the Merom plateau at the 2.33 speed mark? Its a nice upgrade for Core Duo but the Core 2 Duo chipset isn't going any further, right?

What do you mean "plateau"? 2.33 GHz may be the fastest that's currently available, but I doubt that's as high as it'll ever go.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
capran said:
What do you mean "plateau"? 2.33 GHz may be the fastest that's currently available, but I doubt that's as high as it'll ever go.
I believe the story is that these are the last that will run on Napa and any faster Core 2 Duo chips will be only compatible with Santa Rosa and thus not Yonah compatible.

B

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
capran said:
I don't know what the ceiling will be, but I understand that Merom is expected to change soon to a new socket (along with Santa Rosa) and so new Meroms won't be compatible with early Merom systems.

Now, they may still make faster "early Meroms" for a while--I don't know. But I doubt it will go much higher. And with chips costing what they do, I gambled that it would never be cost effective to upgrade the chip in my iMac, and got the 2.33 from the start :) However, I like that the possibility exists, in theory. Maybe there will be a 2.66 or something and I can pick one up cheap in 2 years.

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
I wonder if it's possible to overclock the Merom? Anybody tried?

The only experience I have overclocking recent Macs is the Mac Mini G4 (I run mine at 1.58 Ghz, pretty simple OC but a bit scary to actually do it.)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
capran said:
I wonder if it's possible to overclock the Merom? Anybody tried?

The only experience I have overclocking recent Macs is the Mac Mini G4 (I run mine at 1.58 Ghz, pretty simple OC but a bit scary to actually do it.)
More then likely some solder and the FSB.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Calson said the drives are Seagate 250s 16MB cache. Can anyone confirm what the 500 is. Are the new iMacs using SATA II, not SATA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.