iMac 24" Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Krovem, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hey everyone.

I am thinking of getting the 2.93Ghz or 2.66Ghz iMac 24"
    Should I wait? Update in Sept. possibly?

I do little bit of movie editing on iMovie, planning to move to Final Cut Express. Which model of iMac is best for me?

Thanks.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you need an iMac, buy now. Get the best you can with your money.

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

iMac usually gets updated in Sep or Oct. Wait if you can.

4. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

I heard prices might drop & few changes. Grr idk. Lets see what other people say. So far its 1-1.

5. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I won't help to tip your scales ...
    I've played this game too :cool:

So you should wait as long as you possibly can, and you should buy when you can't wait anymore.

Sorry if you were asking to make a decision for you ;):p

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

The waiting game ahhh!

7. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

What helps (to feel on top :rolleyes:) is when you can wait - and you anticipate something bit better coming soon, you set your thoughts on it.

And when it comes out (especially if ti beats your expectations with some cool thingie) and you buy it - you at least don't feel burned & don't end up hating Apple and yourself.

8. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Oh you tell me ...
    It was killing me when I didn't had a single Mac.
    Now I'm much better at it :D:cool:
    (Apart from mandatory PowerBook G5, I'm waiting on a 1440x900 13" incher, with a matte screen ... but I suspect we'll get OLED screens first :confused:)

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

Unfortunately the iMacs no longer have a set update schedule. If you look at the Mac Rumours Buyers Guide page you'll see the last few updates have been any time from about August through to April. (The last two were March and April, and the previous two were August and September.)

Although it's possible Apple will update the iMac in September, I don't think it's likely. In September they are already updating the Mac OS, plus the rumours of updating the iMacs, iPods, and introducing the "iTablet" - that's a lot of releases in one month, so I wouldn't be placing bets on them.

With Snow Leopard being released in September it's probably best to at least wait for that - you'll save the small upgrade fee and the hassle of installing it. (I haven't checked, but I believe the Mac OS update fee is actually a rebate, which means you'll have to pay full price and then wait for the refund to arrive. :()

Usually the best time to buy is a month or two after Apple has released new hardware (or software for that matter). That way you get the newest machine and they've had time to work any bugs out - the problem of course is the stagered release of the computers and the Mac OS, but at least the Mac OS can be more easily owner-updated.

10. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

So we have to pay $129 upfront and wait for the $120 check?

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

12. Josephdempsey macrumors newbie

Why wait

Hey

I have played this waiting game before and eventually you realise if you keep waiting you will never buy anything, you will always be waiting..

I would suggest buy now and you will only have to pay $29 for the snow leopard update. There are no huge hardware changes due and you might even save a $100 in some stores by buying now:cool:

13. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Thanks guys! I will keep reading responses.
    But I think I will wait until Sept. thats when the college deal ends too.
    Hopefully they will release and updated iMac if not its okay.

Haha & yes the waiting game.

I need to buy an iPhone anyways at the moment. I got pushed into a pool & its dead :(

Max

14. ag55 macrumors regular

PROS OF WAITING
    • Get latest hardware
    • Preinstalled with snow leopard

PROS OF BUYING NOW
    • Education discount will be greater than any price drop
    • Free iPod touch
    • Start playing with your new mac now

Up to you, but i would say that if your waiting for a price drop dont, the current education discounts will be more than any price drop. Plus an ipod touch to sell reduces it further.

The update probably wont be that big, no major new hardware available. Small changes.

15. Buzz Bumble Guest

Except that if the retail prices do drop, then so will the educational price. :)

16. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

That's not true. You can buy now and pay $9.95 for Snow Leopard pre-release price since you bought the computer before Snow Leopard was released.

17. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

18. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd wait a couple of months to see if updates are introduced. If you don't, chances are it won't be a significant upgrade and you will still have a great computer.

20. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

Am in the same place as you, want one now but can wait. I would be pissed if an update and cheaper price was introduced within a few weeks of me buying one. Thats what happened with my Macbook. luckily the Apple store agreed to exchange it for the new MBP.
    Choices, Choices. :):)

21. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Okay I have decided to wait until Sept. thats when the college thing ends too. Also apple might release new iPod touch :) I wana get the free itouch.

Now 2.93 ghz or 2.66? I am doing little bit of imovie & planning to move to Final Cut Express.

Also if models upgrade would be cool :)

22. maeman macrumors newbie

If I'm not mistaken, when Apple does announce a new iPod while the free iPod promotion is going on, the newly introduced iPod is not included in the offer. I'm pretty sure the deal is just to accelerate the depletion of the old model's stock.

23. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I am waiting too, I waiting till november 2010 when my applecare runs out, then I get a new computer :) I thinking another iMac.

24. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I'm waiting until June 2010. If the next iMac revision will be major/significant, I will sell my Mac Mini to buy the new iMac.

25. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Wait for September. I waited for the notebooks o be updated for two months as I didn't need to get rid of my PowerBook for any real reason except that it was old and I wanted new and faster. A lot of people predicted no updaes at the keynote and to just buy. Boy were some people wrong and I'm glad I waited on the rumor. To me, the low end 13" MBP was everything I wanted and I got it as compared to the unibody 13" MacBook and a cheaper price PLUS a greater discount for teachers/ education then what they ofered prior. There are rumors of an update and cheaper prices for the September time frame than wait until then. That 2.93 you can't decide on might be cheaper than the 2.66 today. You never know...