iMac 24" Wall Mounting - How Close to wall?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by turbineseaplane, Jul 8, 2009.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Hi.

Posted this on Apple's forums and nobody has any thoughts so I thought I'd try it out here...

I'm thinking of wall mounting a 24" iMac and obviously the biggest concern is plugging things into the ports.

Does anyone know how far off the wall the back of the iMac 24" is when mounted using the VESA Wall mount kit from Apple?

I can't find any pictures of it mounted or any retailers that have one I can look at.

If the "wall mount" is so close to the wall that you can't actually use any of the ports, it would seem that it should be called a "bracket mount" as that would be the only time it would be useful.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get an USB hub so you don't have to access back of the iMac anymore?

3. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Maybe...

Actually, I have a powered USB hub. I'm more concerned about if it's so close to the wall that I can't even get a USB plug in back there.

Also, I'd like to use Ethernet and Firewire, both of which (especially the latter) use a bit of space straight out from the plug before you could go 90 degrees down along the wall, you know?

4. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

XBench or GeekBench

@Hellhammer:

Have you ever benchmarked your iMac at all?

I'm thinking of getting your exact machine and I'm curious how well it performs.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, I haven't, sorry. I've played Battlefield 2142 with all settings at highest and got about 40 fps all the time and Crysis on high settings and got 30fps.

I don't trust benchmarks, those are for overclockers and ultimate computers.

BTW, I'm running GeekBench right now. I give you the results in few minutes

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Processor integer performance 3311
    Processor floating point performance 5800
    Memory performance 2966
    Memory bandwidth performance 2010

GeekBench score: 3983

I ran it in 32-bit because 64-bit isn't free. GeekBench tests only CPU and RAM so it isn't the best

7. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Nice.

Thanks for doing that.

My 2.53 MBP (late 08) with an SSD gets between 3400-3600 depending upon the situation.

I'd really like to wall mount a 24" iMac and then get an MBA for when I'm on the go, but this port issue has me worried.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No problem, mate. Sorry, I can't help you with port issue. Let's hope that someone can

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If I had to guess, there would be somewhere between one and two inches of clearence behind the monitor. VESA clamps are usually quite sturdy and thick, so you won't get it right against the wall. After all, you need power to the thing ;)

10. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

I didnt think the iMacs were wall mountable due to the fact that the stand was in the case and didnt have VESA screw holes on the back, or am I missing something on mine?

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I think there is a VESA mounting kit which gives the iMac the capability.
    The VESA mount for iMac came out in 2006 so I don't know if it will work on the current generation...

12. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Last time I checked, only the 24" was compatible with Apple's VESA mount.

13. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Ohh. I see. Sneaky Sneaky. Oh well lol.

14. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

Apple's VESA bracket is just an adaptor which allows you to attach the iMac or ACD to a VESA compatible bracket or arm etc. So it can be as far off the wall as you want, as you choose the mounting bracket in the end. Or an arm, which would allow you to move it forward when you need to access the rear side of the machine.

15. JWFerne macrumors regular

I mounted one of my iMacs on the wall and I can access the back like you mentioned. With the Vesa mount and the wall bracket, it's about 2in away from the wall to the back of the computer.

Total depth from the front of the screen to the wall is 4 inches. I went with the smallest flush mount I could find at Best Buy. I think it's only 3/4 in deep.

Taking the stand of the 24 iMac is a bit tricky, but it is doable. You get a thin card that you slide in and it releases a catch and when the stand comes off after you unscrew about 6-8 allen screws. Easy to do once you get that card to hit the release, which is the tricky part.

Good luck

p.s and plenty of room to plug and unplug your USB plugs