iMac 24" with Dell 24"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by digitalhen, Mar 4, 2008.

1. digitalhen macrumors regular

I've been after a second 24" monitor for my set up for a while, but being a laptop, my Sony SZ doesn't support it natively.

So, I think I'm going to make the jump to OSX go for a 24" iMac (I can get it for $1,694) and whack this into the Dell. Has anyone else done this? That is to say, does it work?! :)

How does it look? Does it take up way too much space? There is the possibility that I need to upgrade my desk of all things to handle the space.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

This is exactly what I plan on doing this summer. I've seen the setup before, it works out beautifully and gives you loads of screen real estate:D

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes itll work fine, i personally have been using a 19" alongside an imac 24" (last gen) for a year and its a great settup but the 24" will obviously be nicer.

4. digitalhen thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys :) now i just need to resist ordering. 1-click buying was invented for this kind of situation.

5. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

DOOOOOOOO IT!!!

I have a Mac Pro and a Quad-core Dell w/ 24" ws...I use the Mac more now. Mac owns.

6. digitalhen thread starter macrumors regular

Now do I get a current gen now ($1600, Amazon with various gift certificates and no tax), or do I wait for a refresh model then head to the Apple Store and pay what will probably be about $1799 + tax = $1956.

What I'm asking is, do you think any potential speed/ram/hd increase is worth $360?

7. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

In the short run no... in the long run yes.

8. jch macrumors newbie

I have a 24" iMac (2.8GHz) with a 24" Dell 2405 FPW connected as my secondary monitor.

I run OS X 10.5.2 on the main monitor, and VMWare Fusion with a 200 GB snapshot of my old XP system on my secondary monitor.

Works like a charm--very stable. Even when the XP virtual machine is pegged at 100% CPU, the Mac apps stay responsive.

Does this help?
    .../j

9. digitalhen thread starter macrumors regular

i'd thought i'd managed to kill the craving for today, but there you go and post about your set up. any chances of a photo of your set up with something to give an idea of size?

10. jch macrumors newbie

It's the size of two 24" monitors, side by side.

The iMac sits directly in front of me at the right edge of my desk. The Dell monitor sits immediately to its right, on top of a filing cabinet, so that both are touching and at the same height.

My desk is such a mess that a picture would probably turn you off the idea ;-)

.../j

11. digitalhen thread starter macrumors regular

Result. And errrr, it's kinda big. I need a new desk.

[​IMG]

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

20" with 22" lcd ain't so bad, either

Yeah, the ability to span screens is why I choose the imac over a mac mini. I've got a 22" ws samsung monitor that I bought when CompUSA closed, and put it next to a 20" white C2D imac. It's nice to have multiple documents open, browsers and the like.

BTW, what are you planning on doing with the two 24's?

13. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

How is the second monitor connected to the iMac?

14. digitalhen thread starter macrumors regular

DVI connection to the mini-DVI socket on the back

15. digitalhen thread starter macrumors regular

well, at the moment, i have tv and personal stuff on the left (inc. remote desktop to my laptop). on the right, i have full screen remote desktop to work.

i guess in vista i could span both monitors... in fact, i'll try that now. :)

16. MatWith1T macrumors newbie

Generally minor upgrades (like the rumored impending one) don't involve significant price increases... and Amazon will sell them too, with the same gift certificates.

As for ram upgrades... don't buy them through Apple. Rule #1. They have an absurdly high markup on ram.