Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reshaydee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Hey everyone, thought I'd post this issue I've been having with my iMac 24" which I purchased in mid-2008.

Here's what happened.
Last month, my iMac (24" 2.8GHz) suddenly decided to freeze up on me while I was browsing through videos on Vimeo and rendering a video on Adobe Premiere Pro. The screen started flickering and then all but a small portion on the upper half went black. I had to force shut it down and then tried rebooting again... But it wouldn't start up anymore. The Apple logo would show and so would the progress wheel, but after a while it would freeze. Also, there are these weird yellowish bars that are still present to this day.

Yellowish bars:

I've tried everything... I tried resetting the PRAM, holding "C" for the disk utility, safe booting, booting from the disk, booting from another Mac's HDD... But the results are all the same.

Luckily, the HDD is fine as I am still able to use it as a Target Disk. I have no idea what it's problem is...

I hope someone can help or at least tell me what is wrong with it... I hope the 27" iMac I'm thinking of getting lasts longer. Haha!

Thanks for reading!

-Resh

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Sounds like a logic board issue, so you can't do anything. You could of course let Apple have a look

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I had the same model iMac as you, but pestered Apple that it was getting too hot. My argument being that chronic overheating would damage the internal components. Eventually they agreed to swap it for the first 27" C2D, (but I payed for upgrade to i7).

May not be related, but certainly makes me feel like all the chase-up hassle I went through was worth it.

Esquire1

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
From what I've been reading when researching iMacs, the 24" iMacs seem to implode after awhile. Logic board issues are very common on that model. They appear to be the most fickle iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.