Imac 24in 2006 Booting/ graphics problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bizquick, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Bizquick macrumors newbie

I have a Imac 24in 2.16 Intel chip I have a Nvidia 7600 GT 256MB card. I cant not get the unit to boot unless I boot in safe mode. I tried to do a clean OS install but even then I get the same result it boots to a Blue screen has some funny black Horizonal lines thru the mouse pointer. I've been reading about some people having problems with the graphic card on these. And I'm considering replacing that. I have no trouble opening this unit up and doing that. I work on PC's (I know yuck). But I also hear about people replace the logic board too. So Im having trouble here. if its the logic board I just dont understand how safe mode would work. well please help me I'll try anything at this point. cause a new video card is on back order from apple and could be a month away.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like a graphics card or logic board issue, yeah. If I had to guess I'd say logic board, but replacing that would cost more than your computer is worth.

3. Bizquick thread starter macrumors newbie

But is it was the logic board how would the computer boot into safe mode? I just dont understand the logic the mac's have over PC's on that? cause this computer is acting much like what a Failing video card would act like on a PC. not saying the video card is completely dead just is acting like a failing video. And the video card is replacable on this model.

4. couto27 macrumors 6502

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sorry, my post might make more sense with the typo fixed: graphics card or logic board. I agree that the graphics card is the first thing to check.

That was a remarkably cryptic post. I believe what couto is saying is that you should reboot to your computer's restore disk 1 while holding the D key to run Apple Hardware Test.