iMac 24inch late 06 white video card replace

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SirChuck, Jun 4, 2009.

1. SirChuck macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got finished upgrading my GeForce 7300 GT card in my white 24inch iMac to a GeForce 7600 GT.

The old card was giving lots of screen artifacts and graphic bugs, now the only problem I have is in World of Warcraft with some intermittent flashes of grey when running full screen. Not sure why this happens but I can live with it.

My question is, when I opened the case, took out the lcd and other parts necessary to remove the logic board so I could get to the video card, there was one part I couldn't figure out how to remove.

Inside the iMac attached to the logic board is a black glued on strip of a rubberish material. This glued on strip attaches to the black cardboard like box on top of the logic board.

When I replaced the vid card, all I did was lay the motherboard over the black box (Assume power supply) while leaving the black stuff glued on, I just bent it over.

I think the black cardboard box and black glued on strip is simply to control air flow, but I wondered what the proper way is to remove it so you could actually take out the motherboard without hurting it?

I'm including 2 pictures to help you see what part i'm talking about. I'll check the boards often, so let me know if you need me to be more specific in helping you understand what I mean.

Picture 1:
    [​IMG]

Picture 2: Close up
    [​IMG]

2. Niklaas macrumors newbie

the black "cardboard like box" is your power supply and the "glued" is there to contro the air flow right.

3. SirChuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I figured, but how do I remove it correctly? Any Idea's how without damaging it?

I kinda though I might just be able to cut it with a box cutter along the cardboard box enclosure then just tape it back up after. However, im guessing there is a smarter more technical way.

I figured i'd ask here because i'm sure some of you are like me and not afraid to rip open your case and play around. :)

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Hi there SirChuck.

I have a question for you, but for some reason I cannot send you a PM. Could you please PM me so I can chat with you about the 24" iMac GPU problems?

thanks