Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bashi007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
London, UK
Hi Guys

Just been reading the forums for a while, thought id get some advice.

my current set up is macbook pro 15 2011 i7 2.2 with ACD 27", but the problem is that the macbook pro is quite heavy, as i like to take it to work and when i visit my parents.

I can sell both the macbook pro and the ACD (i have an offer for ACD £600) and that can fund me a imac 27 2.7GHZ i5 and a macbook air 11".

Or i can sell the macbook pro and get the new mac mini i7 server, and use that with my ACD also just buy the macbook air 11" (i already have trackpad and keyboard). The mac mini sever seems to be fast, is it faster than the imac i5 2.7GHZ?

i will be using either the imac or the mac mini server for video editing, final cut pro, photos. I don't play any games.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as im finding it hard to decide which way to go for.
One thing i'm sure about is the new macbook air.

bashi007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
London, UK
Just an update, was finding it difficult to choose which way to go but I have decided on the iMac 27 2.7ghz i5 and mcbook air.

The iMac turned up today, bought from best buy uk with a 10% discount code.

The only thing I can't decide on is the 11 or 13 MacBook air.

I have sold my MacBook pro 15 i7 and cinema display 27 to fund this.

Hope I made the right choice.

EmbraceNext

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2007
Go with the 13" MBA. It feels more like a laptop. The 11inch gives me that netbook feel and I feel trapped. Its all personal preference though.

xpaulso

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Just an update, was finding it difficult to choose which way to go but I have decided on the iMac 27 2.7ghz i5 and mcbook air.

The iMac turned up today, bought from best buy uk with a 10% discount code.

The only thing I can't decide on is the 11 or 13 MacBook air.

I have sold my MacBook pro 15 i7 and cinema display 27 to fund this.

Hope I made the right choice.

You made the right choice with the iMac vs the mac mini server. The 2.7ghz i5 in the iMac is much faster than the mobile i7 in the mac mini.

As far as the macbook air it depends on how big of a screen you need. They both feel very light (almost too light to use on your lap). Both have a full size keyboard. The speed difference is negligible, so is the difference in battery life. I prefer the 13" but have several colleagues that love the 11".

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
I have the 11" MBA (2010) and love it! As a secondary computer, it's great. Considering you have the 27" iMac, I'd recommend the 11".

bashi007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
London, UK
Thanks guys for your input, yes i think i have made the right decision regarding the iMac, just been playing with it and loving it so far.

I noticed that my iMac has a seagate drive, but is not on the recall list.

Regarding the macbook air, i see pluses and negatives for both sizes. I might have to go to apple store tommorow and have a play. i'm leaning towards the 13 due to better battery life and comfortable for long use when i'm away from home.

Is the 11 comfortable for typing, word doucuments and iphoto?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.