IMac 27 - 2009 will not boot! (See startup)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheDane, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TheDane, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

TheDane macrumors member

TheDane

Hi all,

My iMac will not boot anymore. Just after the Apple logo, the following screen appears, and the computer freezes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380138801.898491.jpg

History is I added an SSD drive in the optical bay - but that was 6 month ago. Anyway, I have had my mac opened. So I wanted to check if all cables we still well placed and everything looked fine....everything but this cable:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380138925.782586.jpg

It is the first/upper one to detach. Seems I have somehow ruined it...or squeezed it.

But what can I do? Can it be that cable...I have used the mac for six month without any issues...until now.

Just found this cable is that the one I should buy? http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/stor...el-inch-aluminium-lcd-sync-cable-p-71641.html

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations...

Regards The Dane!

2. RayK macrumors 6502

That's the cable, but not sure if thats the problem. Almost looks like video card may be over heating. I had similar symptoms with my Early 2009 iMac with a Radeon 4850 and before it got too bad I removed the heatsink to the card to reveal that all the thermal paste on the chip had dried up. I cleaned it up and put it back together and its been stable as a rock. I also added a fusion drive setup to it and it works great.

Something to try anyway. Good luck!

3. TheDane thread starter macrumors member

TheDane

Thanks for the tip. I tried to unplug the V Sync cable but the computer acted the same.

Your post must have been right about when i decided to get it repaired, so I did not get to checking the graphics card.

I ended up going to a local Mac repair shop here in Denmark (Humac) but they will need some days before they get back to me...

I will update here when I get the result.

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

could also be the power supply. when that bad boy goes, all sorts of weird things happen.