iMac 27" 2010 blue lines on the display [pic]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kixx, Apr 4, 2014.

1. kixx macrumors member

Hi,

Does anyone seem to know the problem with having blue vertical lines on your iMac display?

[​IMG]

In the beginning, the lines only showed occasionally, but now, the line almost always show up. However, the lines fades in and fades out when the screen is in motion, for example, when i drag and manoeuvre a window around it. The window would almost feel magnetic, if you know what i mean.

Also, from my testing, the line seem to disappear when i turn up my fans, and tend to reappear when the temperature gets too hot.

I do not think it is the display, as when the line is not there, it displays pixels perfect. To me, it sort of feel like a connection issue.

I want to take it to get it fixed, anyone know which part is fault?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

In likely order, you'll have one or more parts at fault.
    1. Video card
    2. Internal video cable (Apple calls it a DisplayPort cable)
    or, vertical sync cable.
    3. Logic board
    4. The LCD screen.

You would want to first verify by booting to another system, which can determine that you don't have a software issue.

My best guess is NOT software, but the video card, particularly as it seems to get worse as your system warms up.

3. kixx thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Just as i was typing, the lines disappeared. Another common phenomena is that the lines disappear after a few hours of the iMac turning on, if i do not run any intense activities (e.g. watching HD movies).

Sometimes i afk for a few hours, the monitor sleeps, but the CPU does not. When i come back and wake up the monitor, the lines would disappear.

4. nemker macrumors newbie

nemker

See what you got on an external display. I had a colored stripe on laptop and it was the LCD screen. Good Luck

5. mogens macrumors member

I had the the exact same problem with my late 2009 27" iMac. Soon after the display went black. Your GPU is about to die properly, because of a bad soldering.
    You don't mention which mac you have, but I fixed it with a simple reflow job in my kitchen owen. 200 degrees in 8 minutes. It has lasted for about 6 months now, so maybe your lucky too.
    Serarch reflow GPU and use the take apart guides at ifixit

6. kixx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I do not have a display port connector at home, so i tried screen sharing with my Macbook. I do not see the blue lines on my Macbook.

Could this still be the problem of a graphics card? I will try to grab a display port adaptor today.