iMac 27" 2010 - common problems and gripes with this particular model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gochi, Mar 12, 2014.

1. gochi macrumors 6502

Hello ladies and gentleman,

Well I am considering purchasing a used imac 27 2010, quad core i5 model with 1 gig 5750 vram.

I was wondering, if anyone who owns these models, or if anyone has read about certain ISSUES/Problems

with this particular model.

is the video card defective?
    is the hard drive defective?

anything else i should know?

thanks.

2. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Mine has been great. Not a single problem. There was a recall on the hard drive so you might want to see if that got changed. no problems with my hard drive but when they replaced it they gave me a 2TB upgrade for free.

3. Mac2004 macrumors regular

If you purchase AppleCare who cares??? You have a 3 year full coverage so buy one now.

4. aggri1 macrumors 6502

I have one of these. The video card died shortly before the AppleCare ran out (luckily for me), but otherwise it's been fine. It's quite noisy when the weather is warm and you're doing something like playing a 3D video game.

Also, these pre-Thunderbolt models are the last which can be used as a regular DisplayPort monitor, in case you eventually might want to use it just as a screen for any DisplayPort-video-output-capable computer (which is pretty much anything these days right?).

The SSD upgrade made it feel much more responsive that it was with just the spinning disk drive. I'd recommend that if you can.